Using a file on a PC then onto a Mac

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Ordered a (C2D)MBP last week and its due here in Scotland on the 14th Nov.

Right now my PC is really a piece of dung and I don't know what kind of infections it has inside it. (Its not been sleeping around, its just from being on the net) When the time comes that I need to transfer graphic/MS Word/picture files from this PC {and any PC for that matter} onto my MacBook will I need anti-virus protection? OR...

Am I correct to assume that any form of corruption on a PC file will not effect my Mac? In other words, if I have designed something on my PC and I decide to continue any more work on, for exapmle, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop file in the Mac version will I be playing with fire? This is all because I am not trusting of what comes out of this PC. :confused:

Reaction score
okay in short

even if you invite all the 70.000 windows viri to have an orgy on the hd of your mac there is very little damage they wil do to your mac
because they have no windows files to latch on to
the mac might display some odd behavior but nothing serious

however the viri might and will latch on to the files and if you share them with a other computer a pc for instance they will be infected
they wil stil be infected ( but mostly harmless ) on other macs too
so yes you ar eplaying with fire especially if you use a pc along side it

for protection ? use norton antivirus or virex

buy eithe rof them and scan what ever comes out of that pc even if an infection wont harm your mac you can stil share that filth and infect onder windows machines with it

one of my macs had a iwndows boot virus it displayed soem odd behavior but the virus destroyed the boot sector of my hd
im speaking out of experience

Ric

Reaction score
Hi tartansparkle,

your assumptions are correct...

if you create a photshop file, illi file etc then transfer that to the Mac then there are no known viri that can piggy back a ride on to your Mac.

You will be fine transferring the files...

But if you use BootCamp and make a Win XP partion on your Mac then that will need antivirus software on it (on the XP partition). Again, if you get any viri on the XP partition it can't jump across.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me on this matter...I was worried it had slipped under the rug and no-one was going to help with it.

I will not be using BootCamp/Windows on my Mac, the way I feel about that, if I want to use Windows I'll use a PC :D . My Mac will be for OSX.

Essentially I want to use my MacBook for future design work once I get it going with Adobe Creative Suite 3 and my PC for putting all my files on that I am not currently using. I want to keep the MacBook as clean, empty and fresh as possible so that its running at maximum all the time. Now that you have responded, I feel a lot safer about passing the files between the two.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me on this matter...I was worried it had slipped under the rug and no-one was going to help with it.

so i am no one ?
i recal being the first one to actually respond to it

if you are going to use that pc as storage bin scan it scan it again back up what y ou want nuke the hd and reinstall windows
and then keep it away from the internet

Ric

Reaction score
bluekat: this is a nice place to be !

There was no animosity meant by tartan sparkle...

tartan sparkle didn't thank anyone in particular, it was a general thankyou.

Your post/answer is appreciated !

Sometimes typed messages don't 'read' as intended, everyone reads messages in a different way !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question