USB Mouse stops working after sleep/resume

Reaction score
Is there a way to kickstart/rescan the USB ports?

When I am working on a plane, and they bring the meal, I shut the lid of the MacBook Pro (See details below on version, etc...)

When I open the cover again, the mouse that I have plugged into the left hand USB does not work. If I shift the USB connection to the one on the right, it will work again. If I restart the machine, the mouse will work in both ports.

When I am at home, and shut the lid with the USB mouse plugged in (I use USB rather than Bluetooth because of the airplane rules :-( ) then open it up, the same thing happens (so this is not requireing an airplane to debug.

I get a similar effect when I shut the lid while working upstairs, and then bring it downstairs to the office and plug it into the Bookendz "docking station" The USB ports are not active.

Hence my question: Is there a way to kickstart/rescan the USB ports?

I am running Leopard 10.5.1
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B05
SMC Version: 1.16f10

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B18)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.1.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Reaction score
hey dude i have exactly the same problem with you, but only slight differences. I also use a mb pro, but instead i have a mighty mouse. Once my computer goes to sleep, my mouse would automatically stop responding once i have woken the mac book up. I tired turning the bluetooth off but it will crash and i will be force to do a hard reboot. Since i got this new mac book pro i had so much trouble with these minor bugs, its driving me insane, leopard is really poor:mad: . Nothing seems to work, and i have so many occasions where my mac book will not shut itself down or restart properly:(

Reaction score
Hi hk_andyc, I am a mac newbie and I have a new MBP. I have this identical problem. Did you manage to find a resolution?

Thanks a lot,

Jo

Reaction score
Don't live close enough to one unfortunately. Been on hold to Apple "Care" for 45 minutes now :(

Do you know if the tool they ran is included pre-installed or available for download?

Thanks!

Ask a Question