Uber noobie question on RAM

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is a stupid question but just to be sure - I'm a recent new Mac user and am running a G5 Powermac. I want to upgrade the RAM.

I assume I can just use standard RAM from my local wholesaler, I don't need special "apple RAM" or something? And I also assume it's as easy to install as on a standard PC, I don't need to take my Mac to a Mac shop and pay them to do it?

Thanks,

- iiago

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is a stupid question but just to be sure - I'm a recent new Mac user and am running a G5 Powermac. I want to upgrade the RAM.

I assume I can just use standard RAM from my local wholesaler, I don't need special "apple RAM" or something? And I also assume it's as easy to install as on a standard PC, I don't need to take my Mac to a Mac shop and pay them to do it?

Thanks,

- iiago

Hi, don't think your question is stupid at all!

The info you need about RAM type is in the System Profiler, which is accessed quickly by going to the Blue Apple Icon in the upper left and selecting "About This Mac". Then click "More Info" and this launches Sys Profiler.

In the Hardware section, look for Memory and select it to show the details in the right hand section..

You don't need specifically to use Apple branded memory, you can buy from a number of online sites; Crucial, Other World Computing, NewEgg etc.

Just make sure the specs of your installed RAM is exactly the same as any RAM you purchase.

As for self installation. It's fairly easy to do yourself, if not easier than PC RAM installation.

So it depends on the iMac G5 you have whether you need to remove the back to add more RAM, or whether you can just undo the few screws on the mesh plate which gives you direct access.

This is a pic of my previous mac showing how to access and upgrade RAM:

20071226-x437n1c7i5imqs1gu98y95x43g.jpg

Here is a pic of how Apple made it easy for Mac owners to access/upgrade RAM:

20071226-ek1h14gsbupc8cxnb6bne51127.jpg

Here are some useful links:

iMac G5 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Instructions

iMac G5 (iSight): Installing and replacing memory (RAM)

iMac G5, iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor): Benefit of using matching memory modules (RAM)

As a footnote I feel I should mention that the original RAM that I removed as part of the upgrade is still sitting in an Anti-Static bag in my desk.

The reason?

Well, firstly those 512mb modules are pretty worthless and secondly if I need to take my iMac in for repairs it will go into the Applestore with the originally installed Apple branded RAM.

Does upgrading my Mac with 3rd Party RAM void a warranty? Technically, Apple encourage Mac owners to upgrade the RAM and have made access to the RAM very user-friendly BUT I'm not going to have an Apple Tech tell me that my iMacs problems are a direct result of having Non-Apple Hardware installed. Simple as that.

It's up to you however, whether or not you keep those original modules or sell them.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Reaction score
Wow - thanks. So according to sys profiler I'm using: DDR SDR Ram (type), PC3200U-30330 (speed).

So I can use any RAM that is of that type and speed, even if it's designed for use with a PC?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Wow - thanks. So according to sys profiler I'm using: DDR SDR Ram (type), PC3200U-30330 (speed).

So I can use any RAM that is of that type and speed, even if it's designed for use with a PC?

Memory is usually catagorised into PC & Mac sections but if the specs are 100% exact then it should be fine. I ordered RAM from OWC for an iBook G3 and it had IBM *i think* on the label.

Usually when you go to a website like say, Crucial.com, it's easier to use their Advisor Tool:

20071226-q8ju8c99sgftqxa3awu2dkk1cm.jpg

Even if you don't buy from Crucial at least you can check for the exact match to what you already have installed in your Mac. It's very important that you match the specs exactly. The number of pins etc.

Ask a Question