Trying to load OS 10.3.2 to iMac. Firmware update won't load. Help?!?

Reaction score
(MODERATORS: I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. If it is, feel free to delete this. I've also posted it in the 'Mac desktops' section.)

I have an iMac Power PC G3 ("Snow" - DV+ - 500mz) model with the slot loading drive. It has 256MB built-in memory & 990MB virtual memory (whatever that means...).

I'm currently on OS 9.2.2 and want to upgrade to 10.3.2. After all this time this computer still runs faster than lightning, and I've never had an ounce of trouble with it, so I figured I'd give OSX a shot.

I also have a G4 which uses OS 10.3.2 and I love it.

I've been told I need to update my Firmware in order to install 10.3.2 from the CD, and as far as I can tell, I've downloaded the correct Firmware update that's needed (4.1.9).

After following the instructions (shut computer down, hold programmers' button, press start button while still holding programmers' button and awaiting a long tone) the tone sounds (I wait for it to end), I release the programmers' button and the computer starts up as it normally does, not loading the updated firmware.

The instructional window says that a status bar should appear to show the progress of the update, but that never happens.

The System Profiler says that I'm still at Boot ROM version "$0003.30f3". Not sure what that means exactly, but it's certainly not "4.1.9".

Any ideas why my iMac won't load this firmware update and what I can do to fix the problem?

One other thing if you don't mind... When I click on the "iMac Firmware Updater" icon, the instructional window that comes up prompts me to click on the "Shut Down" button that's located within the window to shut the computer down.

When I try this everything disappears from the desktop as it normally does when shutting down, but then the computer just locks up without completely shutting down, leaving only the background image and the unresponsive, locked up cursor on the desktop.

I can't understand why this happens. I've never experienced this issue before, and there haven't been any major changes to the computer or software recently.

Is shutting the computer down with this button within the instructional window absolutely necessary to load the firmware update or can I shut the computer down in the normal fashion?

Thanks for any help any of you can offer!
H. Eric 'CORNBOY' Mayse

Reaction score
I just got this response to my issue on another help forum:

"Special information is written to the HD when the firmware updater runs, and the firmware is installed from the hard drive itself. (you cannot update firmware without a HD) If its not successfully shutting itself down, there will be no firmware image waiting on the HD for when it restarts.

You may have a damaged directory on the HD or something else that's blocking it from writing."

When I downloaded the Firmware Update program, it successfully downloaded to the Hard Drive.

If I go through the normal shut down procedures ('Special' - 'Shut Down') the computer shuts down as it normally would, no problems.

It's only when I try to use the "Shut Down" button that is within the Firmware Update window to shut the computer down that everything locks up on me, and shutting it down as I normally would doesn't allow the Firmware Update to load.

If I truly do have a damaged directory on this HD, is there a way I can repair or replace that myself without having to replace the Hard Drive?

Thanks again!
-CORNBOY-

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Thanks for all that info CornboyMayse ... very helpful indeed!

I did the exact thing you are trying to do quite recently when I successfully upgraded my Clamshell G3 running OS 9.2.2 to Panther 10.3.x, so I'll try to help you as much as I can. I still have a Mac running 9.2.2 so I can check out what you need to do on your iMac G3.

Well, my Boot Rom Version is different to yours and I'm not sure if that's OK ... I see $0004.17f4 whereas you see $0003.30f3?

Did you use a paperclip to press in the Programmers Button? Did you keep the paperclip on the button until you heard the long tone? These are crucial steps in the installation process ...

I think you need to launch First Aid which you'll find if you click on your Mac's HD icon on the Desktop, then go to Applications (Mac OS 9), then open the Utilities folder and then you'll see Disc First Aid there ... launch it and select your HD icon and click on Repair.

Report back if there are any problems with this ....

Reaction score
Hi, Spawn Dooley! Thanks for the advice, but I'm still having no luck.

"I think you need to launch First Aid ... launch it and select your HD icon and click on Repair."

Good advice. Didn't think of that. I tried it. It completed and found no problems with my disc, so I moved on to trying the Firmware Update again.

"Did you use a paperclip to press in the Programmers Button? Did you keep the paperclip on the button until you heard the long tone? These are crucial steps in the installation process ..."

Yes - I used a straightened paperclip and kept the programmers' button depressed with the paperclip until I heard the long tone. The computer started up as it usually does with no update to my Firmware whatsoever. I tried this a few times with the same result.

I think my problem is stemming from my computers' inability to shut down by using the "shut down" button within the Firmware Update window.

As I stated before, whenever I open the Firmware Update program, there are four buttons within the window to choose from - "SAVE", "PRINT", "CANCEL", and "SHUT DOWN".

When I click the "SHUT DOWN" button to shut the computer down, everything just disappears from my desktop and the computer just freezes up. No mouse movement. Nothing.

I can't get the computer to shut down using the method (supposedly) required to run the Firmware Update, and the Firmware Update won't launch after shutting the computer down by the usual method. It's got me baffled.

If I could get the computer to shut down by clicking the "SHUT DOWN" button within the Firmware Update window, I'd bet my problem would be solved, but for some reason....

-CORNBOY-

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you have a backup of all your personal files etc?

I would reinstall OS 9 and do the update to OS 9.2.2, then try to download/apply the Firmware Update again ... I feel a complete wipe of your HD and a fresh installation might be the trick ... there's obviously some bug in the system that's hard to pinpoint.

I'd noted that the Firmware version on my iBook G3 which runs OS 9.2.2 isn't the same as your iMacs which may or may not be the core issue .... anyway it's worth a try to reinstall OS 9 again ...

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give that a shot this weekend. There are still quite a few files I'll need to backup between now and then.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, Spawn Dooley!
-CORNBOY-

Ask a Question