Trying to load 10.3.2 to iMac. Firmware update won't load. Help?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have an iMac Power PC G3 ("Snow" - DV+ - 500mz) model with the slot loading drive. It has 256MB built-in memory & 990MB virtual memory (whatever that means...).

I'm currently on OS 9.2.2 and want to upgrade to 10.3.2. After all this time this computer still runs faster than lightning, and I've never had an ounce of trouble with it, so I figured I'd give OSX a shot.

I also have a G4 which I run OS 10.3.2 on and I love it.

I've been told I need to update my Firmware in order to install 10.3.2 from the CD onto the iMac, and as far as I can tell, I've downloaded the correct Firmware update that's needed (4.1.9).

After following the instructions (shut computer down, hold programmers' button, press start button while still holding programmers' button and awaiting a long tone) the tone sounds (I wait for it to end), I release the programmers' button and the computer starts up as it normally does, not loading the updated firmware.

The instructional window says that a status bar should appear to show the progress of the update, but that never happens.

The System Profiler says that I'm still at Boot ROM version "$0003.30f3". Not sure what that means exactly, but it's certainly not "4.1.9".

Any ideas why my iMac won't load this firmware update and what I can do to fix the problem?

One other thing if you don't mind... When I click on the "iMac Firmware Updater" icon, the instructional window that comes up prompts me to click on the "Shut Down" button that's located within the window to shut the computer down.

When I try this everything disappears from the desktop as it normally does when shutting down, but then the computer just locks up without completely shutting down, leaving only the background image and the unresponsive, locked up cursor on the desktop.

I can't understand why this happens. I've never experienced this issue before, and there haven't been any major changes to the computer or software recently.

Is shutting the computer down with this button within the instructional window absolutely necessary to load the firmware update or can I shut the computer down in the normal fashion?

Thanks for any help any of you can offer!
H. Eric 'CORNBOY' Mayse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question