Transcend hd enclosure

Reaction score
g24jf8
I have ssd 850 evo and bought the transient ts0gsj25ck3 to use with it for the purpose of ssd boot
now the iMac 2017 recognise it and all and i did format it to the apple journaled thing
as you can see in the img I provided this is the info
the disk doesn't show up in the start up disk section but it does on the disk utility
also in the disk info it says
bootable no
solid drive no
https://ibb.co/mW5UDT

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It is because it is using FDisk_partition_scheme instead of GUID_partition_scheme. Try using Disk Utility to partition it as GUID and Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You will then be able to install macOS and boot from it.

C

Reaction score
Try erasing and formatting the entire disk/SSD. Also, if you are running High Sierra (OS 10.13.x, with OS 10.13.5 being the latest version), it might be better to format that SSD as APFS.

I have 2 external Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs enclosed in nice, slim Orico enclosures. Each of those SSDs has 3 partitions. 2 of the partitions are for my SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs running OS 10.13.x (now OS 10.13.5), and those partitions are formatted as APFS. The third partition contains miscellaneous "stuff" (old tax returns, movies, TV series, photos, etc.), and it is formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled), with GUID as the scheme. All of that works very well for me.

And of course, given that SuperDuper! makes a bootable backup/clone, I can boot either of my Macs from either of those partitions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
DUDEEeee I googled why I can't chose scheme option to format and now I see I wasted the entire day because there disk utility show only partitions and not the entire drives !!! fixed it normal formatting

Ask a Question