SYS PREFS deleted

Reaction score
Thanks for the forum. I just came over to Mac from PC. I am a working photographer and I just purchased and am setting up a Mac Pro w/ Leopard 10.5.1.

I think I made a mistake by deleting the system preferences app. It ended up in the trash; I did not place it there, I just emptied the trash as I would have done on the PC. "expletive"!!!! I should have paid attention. My fault. But, what is with the "recovered files" that are in my trash bin? That's how this occurred. Anyway...

It is gone from the applications and I would like to know how to retrieve it or get in back in which ever way is possible. I can reformat w/ Leopard as I have not yet brought the photographs over to the Mac.

I am just distraught as I didn't need this error on my part. I screwed up while not paying attention and need some help, please.

Reaction score
I am not sure there is another way other than re-installing the system. System Preferences are part of the installation. If you don't have anything else on the Mac, it won't be a big hassle to reinstall Leopard again.

Reaction score
There is a software called "Pacifist" (sp?) that renders assistance for this problem, so I have heard. Know anything about this software?

Reaction score
That software had been mentioned to me by a local Apple dealer and I did download it. As I understand it I have to insert the Leopard disc and then launch Pacifist and go from there. Anyone have experience with this software in case I need some kind of a heads up?

Reaction score
I used Pacifist and it worked flawlessly. This might be one of the most useful apps I have encountered in the many years I have used computers.

Ask a Question