Stuck on blue screen. Please help!

Reaction score
To free up space, I recently used Terminal to delete swap files and saveimage(?) files. After doing the latter and deleting another unknown folder without being prompted for a permission, I cannot reboot even in safe mode. I just see the blue screen and logo.

I used disc utility on the OS disk to repair permissions. It listed a number warning the were modified and will not be repaired. I then verified the disk which registered "ok". It still does not Disk utility verified that the drive is "okay" and shows the files still there but still won't reboot.

I am afraid to reinstall the OS because I don't know if this will erase the hard drive or how it will fix the problem. I'm extremely afraid I've lost my files already. I don't have a time machine backup.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You will need to do and Install in Place of OSX.

Thanks, I decided to do that but I'm afraid it's wiping all or some of my files. If not, I'm concerned my deleting the "saveimage" files through terminal made my files permanently inaccessible.

Reaction score
I doubt your files will be wiped but Terminal can do that, ensure you only do an Install In Place with OSX.

If you have another Mac available you could try to boot into Target Mode and copy your files off from the other Mac before you begin.
or take it to an AppleCare Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
What do you mean by "In Place"?

Is there any way to reverse the "saveimages" dump through Terminal apart from trying the OS install?

Reaction score
When you Install OSX from the DVD "Install in place" (or something like that) is option.

No, if you deleted it via the Terminal its gone.

Reaction score
I think the install disk has a 'repair' function which you can use when you don't want to do a complete re-install

Ask a Question