Start-up running slow, plus unaccessible Library folder

Reaction score
I've been noticing that the start-up on my 1.8 GHz iMac G5 (running PPC chip, 512 MB, Tiger OS X - 10.4.11) has been running much slower than usual. Now when I turn on the machine I'm staring at the gray background watching the little turn-table icon spin beneath the Apple logo for 15 seconds or more. Once the machine is up and running, everything runs at its normal fast speed.

I've never installed or used anti-virus software on this machine before, so thought that maybe I've been a little reckless there. So, today I downloaded, updated and ran ClamXav anti-virus. It found ten infected files, all in the Library/Caches folder. So, I deleted those files and rebooted.

However, when I restarted the computer it was still starting up slow. So, I thought I'd better clear out the cache and get the system organized. So, I downloaded and ran Leopard Cache Cleaner (latest version does Tiger as well), and completely cleaned out the cache files, and organized the system files (apparently). However, the computer is running slower than ever.

Last week I had another problem that may be related. My Mac mail was not receiving mails, even though I could send mail from Mac Mail. I could receive the e-mails from my ISP's website via Safari, but not on Mac Mail. After my ISP assured me that my settings were fine, I clicked on my System Network Preferences, and a box popped up saying that my Preferences were being changed by another application. I could not check or change any network preferences. So, I checked on mac-help.com and found that a Mac security update was apparently causing this issue. I followed the instructions and set up my security preferences so that a password would be needed for any changes to preferences, and now the pop-up is gone, and I can change the network preferences, and NOW Mac Mail is receiving e-mails without any problems. Lastly, I do not use any file sharing applications, and my Mac Firewall settings are at their highest, so basically nothing can get it.

However, after all of the above my system start-up is still running slow, in fact the start-up is slower than ever. Again, once the system is past start-up, everything is running fast as usual.

One thing that does have me perplexed is that when I click on Macintosh HD on the desktop, and then click Network there is a folder called Library at the top that I do not recall seeing before. The folder has one file, showing 1kb, called library, with type listed as alias. When I click on the folder a pop up appears saying "The alias "Libary" could not be opened, becuase the original item can not be found", along with three buttons, Delete Alias, Fix Alias and OK. However, if I try to delete the folder by clicking delete or by dragging it to the garbage can another box pops up saying that "the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficent privileges for Library". What is this folder, do I need it, can I delete it, and how?

Beneath the folder Library there is a icon called Servers. When I click on this, I see a listing of what's on the Macintosh HD folder on the desktop. Is this a case of major file duplication or just another way of showing the same data?

My feeling is that this strange Library file is slowing down my system start-up, but I really have no idea.

Based on all of the above, can anyone help me get my start-up running? And, if any of the above info looks like a virus or malware or trojan attack, please let me know.

I'll keep you all posted of my success with this issue. Cheers.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
G'day Admiral & welcome aboard :)

Well done on troubleshooting the "Preferences were being changed by another application" issue ...

Regarding the second issue, I have exactly the same Library alias and Server alias which lead to my Home Directory.

The Library is owned by "System" which is the reason why you can't delete it. I'm not sure that would be a good idea anyway. It's not file duplication as you are just viewing an alias to your Home Directory there.

Do you have a network that you are a part of? I'm not 100% sure but I *think* the reason that your Home Directory shows up there has to do with sharing or accessing your directory from another computer either on a Network or possibly remotely. Sorry, but I'm not expert in this field but I have a small home network and I can connect to my iMac either as a Guest or a User and if I'm a Guest I can only drop stuff into the Drop Box which resides here:

MacintoshHD ~> Users ~> Me ~> Public ~> Drop Box

If I connect as a User then I need to enter my Username + password, then I can access all the folders in my Home Directory but that's all.

So, with your system booting up slowly, it may be a case of checking which items have been given the "Open at Login" status.

Are there any apps in your Dock that you have checked this option in? You can see by Ctrl/Right-Clicking on any Dock item and seeing if there is a tick there.

Another place to check is what's running in:

System Preferences ~> Accounts ~> Log In Items.​

Even if any items you see there don't have a tick next to their name, they are still potentially slowing down your system at start up. The tick just stipulates whether or not you wish that item is "hidden" or not.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi Spawn, thanks for the kind welcome and advice.

I am not running any network, just a stand-alone home Mac with a direct to wall cable highspeed internet connection.

I followed your advice,

1) Checked MacintoshHD ~> Users ~> Me ~> Public ~> Drop Box
- only two folders here, my name, and Garage Band. Never used the latter

2) Checked Ctrl/Right-Clicking on any Dock item and seeing if there is a tick there.
- no items have tick on open at login

3) Checked System Preferences ~> Accounts ~> Log In Items.
- only one item had tick, that of iCalAlarm Scheduler. I removed the tick, and restarted, and the Mac still took 45 seconds before the login prompt appeared.

The list of Login Items, all without tick are as follows:

- iTunesHelper (marked as kind: "Application")
- Microsoft AU Daemon (marked as "Application")
- Palm Desktop Background (marked kind "unknown")
- Transport Monitor (marked as application)
- Palm Desktop Background (yes, another one, also kind "unknown")
- Palm Desktop Background (this time marked kind "application")
- System Events ("application")
- iCalAlarmScheduler ("application")

I did notice that when I finally was able to login, as my Dock is loading the icon for either System Events or iCalAlarmScheduler (they're the same white sheet of paper with stylized "A" on lower right corner") pops up very briefly (less than 1/2 a second), and then vanishes.

I'm at a loss at what to do next. I'm not sure if it's login items that's causing my delay, since the delay is before the login screen. My Mac is sitting at the grey start-up screen with the little spinner beneath the Apple logo spinning for 45 seconds.

You did mention that even if any items you see there don't have a tick next to their name, they are still potentially slowing down your system at start up. How do I kill those items? I don't even use a Palm Pilot anymore, so perhaps I should start by deleting those Apps, but how do I know if that's the cause of my problem?

Lastly, I always ensure that there are no CDs in the Mac when I shut-down, so the start up is not delayed by waiting for the disk to spin.

Ask a Question