SSD works fine on USB3.0 adapter but fails inside MacMini2012

Reaction score
I recently purchased an SSD 500 GB to install in Late 2012 Mac Mini .

I was unfamiliar with the brand but took a chance. The brand is SomnAmbulist I see they are sold in many places.

My problem is that after installing OSX10.15 and latest Linux Mint Mate and running it a few days It started to become unresponsive on both Linux and OSX. Most of the time it would leave me looking at a spinning disk for a simple operation. I saw some messages in Linux that seemed to say that the disk was no longer available when I tried to shut it down.

I took the disk out and put it into a USB adapter case and ran disk utility and gparted on the partitions and errors were found on linux and Mac Partitions.

Then I ran it from the USB disk, WITH NO ISSUES

Later I returned it inside the Mac Mini Case and almost immediately had problems AGAIN!

AFter returning it to the external USB and testing exhaustively it works fine via USB3.0 adapter , consistently and reliably but returning to either port on mac Mini causes it to fail. I have tested on both the SATA ports on Mac mini with different cable for each port and have confirmed it is not a cable nor port issue. Mechanical HDDs work on both ports.

Is there possibly any tweak for the SATA port?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I have never heard of Somnambulist or Linux Mint until your post. Sounds like the SSD just isn't compatible with the internal SSD connector in the mini. I would work with their support directly if possible, or continue to run it with the external case and USB 3.0 adapter.

Sorry!

C

Reaction score
If you do a google search for SomnAmbulist SSD's many reviews on these claim that they are fake SSD's and they are very prone to failures and slow speeds.

I would recommend buying an SSD from a reputible manufacturer link Kingston, WD, Sandisk, etc..

Ask a Question