Spell Catcher Replacement?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience replacing Spell Catcher with a similar application that works with a recent Mac OS?

I’ve been using Spell Catcher since at least OS 9, maybe earlier (that’s before OS X). In fact, I didn’t update to OS X until Spell Catcher had a compatible version. I loved using it then and I love it now. I have thousands of shortcuts entered into it that will expand into a word, a phrase or sentence, or even several paragraphs. This is very helpful because I often type medical records. Spell Catcher’s creator passed away several years ago, so there are no more updates. I’m using Mavericks, and it’s working OK with that OS, but I think it won’t work as well with more recent operating systems. I know there are other shorthand expander programs, but I’m not aware of one that can import the thousands of shorthands and medical terms I’ve entered into Spell Catcher over these many years. And I’m daunted by the task of having to re-enter each one individually.

I’m hoping someone who has had a similar problem and solved it successfully can offer some help or, if not, at least a way to import my Spell Catcher dictionaries into the replacement application. Thanks.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience replacing Spell Catcher with a similar application that works with a recent Mac OS? I’m hoping someone who has had a similar problem and solved it successfully can offer some help or, if not, at least a way to import my Spell Catcher dictionaries into the replacement application. Thanks.

I too am in a Spell Catcher Lifeboat, using Mavericks 10.9.5 as the last full-functioning Spell Catcher friendly version until this week.

Apparently Mavericks has a problem in BusyCal 2.6.9 when spell checking a calendar event. I highlight the newly entered event on the monthly Calender and choose the corrected words and click "Finish" to paste it into the event box. Well, the paste operation doesn't do anything except eliminate the highlighted text without replacing it, leaving the original error in place.

I tried the same operation in Apple's iCal where it still works fine.

If I could only figure what part of BusyCal fails when a paste is called for I might be able to figure a workaround.

Any ideas would be dearly appreciated.

--GG

Ask a Question