Sonoma 14.5

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro 2020 tells me there is an update available, downloads Sonoma14.5 then tells me it has a problem and to try again. I have tried again with the same result. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro 2020 tells me there is an update available, downloads Sonoma14.5 then tells me it has a problem and to try again. I have tried again with the same result. Can someone tell me what is going on?
The problem might be a permissions issue, or your internet connection, or some other damage to your macOS system. I suggest downloading Sonoma from the App Store. Launch App Store from the  menu and in the search field type “macos sonoma” (without the quotes, of course) and press Return. When you see the macOS Sonoma group, click on View. Scroll down and check the version number to make sure that it shows 14.5. Then go back up and click on Get.

The download should start, and the installer file (Install macOS Sonoma.app) will be saved to your Applications folder. If it automatically launches when done, QUIT. Make a copy of the file to another location. After making sure that you have a reliable back up of your system, restart in Safe Mode. Go to Applications and launch the installer. Hopefully the process will go smoothly.

If this method fails, I can show you how to acquire the installer using Terminal. Good luck!

Reaction score
Sonoma 14.5 is causing my computer to crash everyday. It wants to reinstall/recovery. Don't update to this macos.

Reaction score
Did you try my suggestion to download the installer file using the App Store? If so, did you quit the installation and make a copy of the file? As far as I know, the latest version of macOS 14.5 is build 23F79. After you have downloaded and copied the installer, try rebooting in Safe Mode. You should find the installer in your Applications folder. Launch it from there, avoiding the update procedure from System Settings. The download will probably work in Terminal as well.

However, I do agree with your experiences with Sonoma 14.5. In my case, numerous problems arose and several attempts to downgrade to version 14.4.1 were just problematic. I finally decided to try macOS Sequoia 15.0 at beta 1. Were it not for the troubles with Sonoma, I would never have considered using a first version beta on my main system. Fortunately, it is now working better than I imagined, aside from a few quirks which are mainly from third-party apps’ incompatibility with Sequoia.

It’s working well for me, but I don’t recommend it to others. By the way, I’m now running the second beta version of Sequoia, build 24A5279h. Better and better. (Redundant backups are a must!)

Ask a Question