Mac Screenshot Resolution Downgrade After Sonoma Upgrade

Reaction score
I've encountered an issue with my MacBook Pro after upgrading to Sonoma. The screenshot resolution has dropped from 144 DPI to 72 DPI, whether I use the keyboard shortcut or a terminal command. Interestingly, if I enable the preview (show floating thumbnail), the resolution stays at 144 DPI, but without this option, it reverts to 72 DPI.

This happened right after I upgraded to Sonoma. The last time I faced this issue, I had to reinstall the operating system after trying every possible fix. Unfortunately, I'm now on version 14.1.1, and the problem has resurfaced.

Does anyone know of a terminal command or any other method to change the DPI setting back to 144? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
This seems to be a feature of Sonoma. I set my screenshots to open in Preview and they are still 144 pixel.

To set the screenshot to open in preview hit Command Option 5 and then click on Options.

Once you take the screenshot then you can save it and name it however you want.

Ask a Question