Sonoma Freezes When Playing Videos in QuickTime

Reaction score
After updating to Sonoma, playing large video files in QuickTime causes my M1 MacBook Pro to freeze. The external screen is still visible but laggy, and all programs become unresponsive. Force quitting doesn't help, and I have to hard reboot to get it working again.

Any fixes for this? I'm considering going back to Ventura if Sonoma is too buggy.

Thanks.

Reaction score
After updating to Sonoma, playing large video files in QuickTime causes my M1 MacBook Pro to freeze. The external screen is still visible but laggy, and all programs become unresponsive. Force quitting doesn't help, and I have to hard reboot to get it working again.

Any fixes for this? I'm considering going back to Ventura if Sonoma is too buggy.

Thanks.
What version of Sonoma did you update to? The latest version is now 14.5 (23F79). If you are running an older version, you may want to update to 14.5. I experienced numerous problems in Sonoma all the way up to 14.5 Beta 4 (23F5074a), but when they issued the final version, all of my previous problems seem to have been fixed. So you may want to update to 14.5 first if you are in an older version rather than downgrading to an older macOS. Downgrading can get very complicated, having done it a good number of times, but I think I have developed a good procedure, albeit involving a lot of time and effort.

I don’t use QuickTime Player by default, and prefer using VLC, but I tried a number of MP4 videos in QT, and they all ran perfectly. I was surprised at the performance of QuickTime that I might consider using it as my default player again. My QT player is at version 10.5.

Reaction score
The well known bug introduced with macOS Sonoma is still present in 14.5. The only way to "workaround" it until Apple fixes it is to disable mirrored mode when using an external display along with your MacBook's built in display. This show stopping bug has been affecting many users, I am quite surprised it has not been fixed yet.

Ask a Question