Snow Leopard

wes

Reaction score
My snow leopard version is 5.1.10 . Can i update to safari 8? thanks.

Reaction score
Where did you get that version number from? There is no such version of Snow Leopard. The Snow Leopard "starting" OS was 10.6, with the final version being 10.6.8.

By the way, that version number 5.1.10 is the last version of Safari you can use with Snow Leopard.

wes

Reaction score
What operating system would give me the safari 8? Thanks
Where did you get that version number from? There is no such version of Snow Leopard. The Snow Leopard "starting" OS was 10.6, with the final version being 10.6.8.

By the way, that version number 5.1.10 is the last version of Safari you can use with Snow Leopard.
w

Reaction score
Safari 8.x (8.0, 8.0.1, and 8.0.2) are only compatible with Yosemite, OS 10.10 and 10.10.1. Without knowing what specific Mac model you have, do not know if you can use Yosemite.

wes

Reaction score
Safari 8.x (8.0, 8.0.1, and 8.0.2) are only compatible with Yosemite, OS 10.10 and 10.10.1. Without knowing what specific Mac model you have, do not know if you can use Yosemite.
Ok it won't work then . Thanks

Reaction score
Ok it won't work then . Thanks

If you can let us know what exact Mac model you have, then we can tell you whether your machine can run Yosemite or not. And, if it can, and as long as you have OS 10.6.8 (the last version of Snow Leopard), you can upgrade for free, directly from 10.6.8 to 10.10, and then apply the 10.10.1 updater. Then, you can update Safari on OS 10.10.1 to 8.0.2.

wes

Reaction score
If you can let us know what exact Mac model you have, then we can tell you whether your machine can run Yosemite or not. And, if it can, and as long as you have OS 10.6.8 (the last version of Snow Leopard), you can upgrade for free, directly from 10.6.8 to 10.10, and then apply the 10.10.1 updater. Then, you can update Safari on OS 10.10.1 to 8.0.2.
i do have the OS 10.6.8 version.

Reaction score
Fine. But, for the third time, you need to tell us the exact Mac model you are using. Without that, there is no definite way of knowing whether it can be upgraded to Yosemite.

wes

Reaction score
Fine. But, for the third time, you need to tell us the exact Mac model you are using. Without that, there is no definite way of knowing whether it can be upgraded to Yosemite.
Macbook 6,1 mac osx 10.6.8.. safari version 5.1.10. dont know what else to tell you. sorry.

Reaction score
OK, that's good. You can upgrade your Macbook to Yosemite, but that is a huge jump from OS 10.6.8 to OS 10.10.1. I believe your "stock" machine has 2 gig of RAM. That should be enough, but it would be better if you had 4 gig. (This link shows how to upgrade the RAM yourself: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook Unibody Model A1342 RAM Replacement/1666). The only other "issue" is the slow, 5400 rpm hard drive you have inside your machine. Performance will be OK, although not a "speed demon". I initially had a slow 1 TB 5400 rpm drive inside my Mac Mini (really do not need that much space), but I replaced it with a fast, Samsung 256 gig SSD (and installed the 1 TB drive in a nice, slim external case; great for storage of large files (like movies, TV shows, videos, etc.), and backups), and am I glad I did that! The performance of the Mac Mini is significantly better, and it only cost me $125. Prices for SSDs have been falling, so it will probably cost less now. If at a later time you want to upgrade the drive to an SSD drive, that is possible.

In any event, ff you do want to take the pliunge, there are 7 steps involved:

1. First, run Disk Utility to check out the "health" of your internal hard drive.

2. Second, and an ABSOLUTE must, you must make a backup of your current "system". And, you need to do it to an external device. Also, it is best to have a bootable backup. The best, "free" software to use for that is Super Duper!. You can get that from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper

3. Third, you'll need to download and install OS 10.10 from the Apple Store. Before you install it, the download will place a file called "Install OS X Yosemite" inside your Applications folder. You need to make a copy of that file first somewhere else on your drive, as after you launch the installer from the file inside the Applications folder, it will be gone.

4. Restart your Mac. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly!

5. Next, download and install the OS 10.10.1 update. You can get that from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1779

Again, the same precaution about making a copy of that file applies here.

6. Restart your Mac. Again, hopefully things went well.

7. Last, download and install Safari V8.0.2. You can get that from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oops! One mistake above. The OS 10.10.1 update is just an update "file", not another "Install OS X Yosemite" one. Hence, no need to make another copy of it.

Also, OS 10.10.2 came out today (again, just an update "file"). I started another thread about that. The OS 10.10.2 update includes a new version of Safari, 8.0.3.

Last edited:

wes

Reaction score
T
OK, that's good. You can upgrade your Macbook to Yosemite, but that is a huge jump from OS 10.6.8 to OS 10.10.1. I believe your "stock" machine has 2 gig of RAM. That should be enough, but it would be better if you had 4 gig. (This link shows how to upgrade the RAM yourself: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook Unibody Model A1342 RAM Replacement/1666). The only other "issue" is the slow, 5400 rpm hard drive you have inside your machine. Performance will be OK, although not a "speed demon". I initially had a slow 1 TB 5400 rpm drive inside my Mac Mini (really do not need that much space), but I replaced it with a fast, Samsung 256 gig SSD (and installed the 1 TB drive in a nice, slim external case; great for storage of large files (like movies, TV shows, videos, etc.), and backups), and am I glad I did that! The performance of the Mac Mini is significantly better, and it only cost me $125. Prices for SSDs have been falling, so it will probably cost less now. If at a later time you want to upgrade the drive to an SSD drive, that is possible.

In any event, ff you do want to take the pliunge, there are 7 steps involved:

1. First, run Disk Utility to check out the "health" of your internal hard drive.

2. Second, and an ABSOLUTE must, you must make a backup of your current "system". And, you need to do it to an external device. Also, it is best to have a bootable backup. The best, "free" software to use for that is Super Duper!. You can get that from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper

3. Third, you'll need to download and install OS 10.10 from the Apple Store. Before you install it, the download will place a file called "Install OS X Yosemite" inside your Applications folder. You need to make a copy of that file first somewhere else on your drive, as after you launch the installer from the file inside the Applications folder, it will be gone.

4. Restart your Mac. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly!

5. Next, download and install the OS 10.10.1 update. You can get that from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1779

Again, the same precaution about making a copy of that file applies here.

6. Restart your Mac. Again, hopefully things went well.

7. Last, download and install Safari V8.0.2. You can get that from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

Good luck![/QUOTEthanks for the info. Will see what the weekend brings

wes

Reaction score
Sounds good. Did you follow the steps I stated above, and are they accurate in terms of expected results?
yes i did but an fyi i didn't need to update safari it was done all ready once yosemite was installed all updates where in.

Reaction score
yes i did but an fyi i didn't need to update safari it was done all ready once yosemite was installed all updates where in.

Yeah, once you installed OS 10.10.2, it already contained Safari V8.0.3. But, if 10.10.2 had not come out yet, I believe installing 10.10.1 now (even though it came out a couple of months ago) would only give you V8.0.1 of Safari, and thus the separate 8.0.2 download link I originally provided would have been necessary.

But, glad things worked out well for you, and that my "script" was valid.

Ask a Question