Shutdown Action

Ric

Reaction score
Xcode 2.1 normal AppleScript template...

This was just for fun, put this at the end of your workflow and your Mac will Shut Down once it has completed it's tasks...

...it will not "force" Shut Down, any unsaved documents will need to be saved, otherwise the Shut Down will wait for user response.

Attachments

• Shut_Down_Action_Version_1.0.dmg.zip
    163 KB · Views: 2,127

Ric

Reaction score
If any one would like a "forced" shutdown let me know and I'll have a go at writing one...

...sometimes you want to tell your Mac to ShutDown without anything stopping it !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
No problem ! (I hope!)

I'll try and knock something up tonight, once the anklebiters in bed...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Version 2 is complete, I'll test it tomorrow night and then post a beta version here...

shutdownbeta.jpg

shutdownbeta2.jpg

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
As far as I can see everything works as expected, beta version below...

DMG has also been updated, pic below...

shutdownversion2dmg.jpg

Regards

Ric

Attachments

• Shut_Down_Version2.dmg.zip
    201.3 KB · Views: 7,667
Reaction score
This is great! However would anyone be able to point me in the direction of an automator script or component which will allow the mac to be turned off when inactive for a period of time.
Our university has a lot of Macs and students always forget to turn them off. This would save us a lot of time and help the environment.
Thanks

-Matt

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you can use the Energy Saver Control Panel and tell the Mac to Sleep when it's idle for 'x' minutes this will help. You will how ever have to set it up on each individual Mac.

An easier way, if your University will pay for it is to use "Apple Remote Desktop" and then you can you can remotely configure/control each Mac.

Using ARD you can shut down 'all' the Macs in one easy go...

You can also use Energy Saver control panel to schedule shutdowns at certain times.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, many thanks for that reply. We are going to get Networks and ARD up and running but not for sometime yet (budgets permiting) otherwise yes this would do nicely.
Using the Energy Saver is all very well but we want it to shutdown completely when idle for x amount of time and we cannot schedule any set times for shutdown as the Labs with the Macs in are open 24/7. This is why something like ShutDown with the option of setting a 'shut down when computer is idle for x minutes/hours' would be the way forward right now.
If you think you could help in any way we would muchly appreciate it.

Thanks again

-Matt

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

there are ways of doing it using AppleScript, but it can get quite messy and you could end up shutting down a computer that a student had just left for 20mins etc.

You could use the Shutdown action (with the force on) to run at a certain time every day, this will then shutdown the Mac.

Or you could sign up to the SETI at home program and at least get the Macs doing something when they are idle... ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, the Applescript is probably the way to go. Thats exactly what we intend to happen is have the computer shut down when left for around 20 mins unused.
Notices will be made in advance.
Shutdown at a certain time, again will not work, as I said the labs are 24/7.

Thanks very much and SETI looks interesting, although I think I already know a few aliens already closer to home!

-Matt

Reaction score
Hi Ric, new here and new to Automator and I can't seem to get your shut down action to import into Automator :( .

This is the first time I've tried importing an action ... I copied the action to my /Library/Application Support/Apple/Automator folder but every time I try to import it tells me "Automator failed to import the action. The destination directory is not writable." Any idea what's wrong here? I also tried just running your Actions Installer and for some reason that pops up w/ an "Error: -5000. The operation could not be completed because you do not have enough access privileges." ... I'm the only user set up on this machine so I don't know how I couldn't have access privileges.

I'm running on a brand new Mac Pro 2x2.66 "Woodcrest" w/ OS X 10.4.10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
I am trying to use the action as an Ical plugin to force shutdown the Mac at the end of the day (to make the standard Osx scheduler start it again the next day). It works most of the tries, though sometimes, the shutdown doesn't activate. When opening Ical then (a few hours after it hasn't shutdown) then Ical suddenly seems to remember and starts the shutdown.
Does anyone know what could be a solution for this?

And, would it be possible to use the Shutdown Automator action to Force Restart as well?

I've tried on a Mini 1.83 and Macbook 2.00

Thanks,

Ask a Question