Show & Hide Invisibles Action

Ric

Reaction score
Here are two Actions written in Xcode 2.1, that both use the standard AppleScript template.

One Action "Show Invisibles" will tell your Mac to unhide all the invisible files and folders...you can then place other find Actions etc after it...

...then the Second Action "Hide Invisibles" can be placed at the end of your workflow to put your Mac back to the state that it was in previously !

Attachments

• Show_or_Hide_Invisibles_Version_1.1.dmg.zip
    169.8 KB · Views: 16,020
Reaction score
Will this work on a mounted volume?

I'm trying to create a workflow to find and remove all ".HS" files on a remote Window's server. The default "Find files" action in Automator seems to have trouble since the file is invisible. Will this action make all invisible files on that server visible so that I can search and destroy?

Thanks,
paulhjp

Reaction score
Ric said:
2090 Downloads, not yet one comment ;-(

Ho hum !

OK, here's a question from one who's using Automator for the first time:

I use "Show Invisibles" to make a folder visible.

How do I get Automator to recognize a folder with a period in front of it?

Basically, I want to make an invisible folder visible, copy some files to it, then make it invisible again.

But when the Automator's "Move Files" opens the "where to?" dialog box, I can't see the folder (i.e., ".destinationfolder").

What to do?

Reaction score
chicowoodhill said:
But when the Automator's "Move Files" opens the "where to?" dialog box, I can't see the folder (i.e., ".destinationfolder").

What to do?

Solved it. Dragged the folder from the Finder into the dialog box, which then registers the folder.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there !

glad you've solved it !

We've been on Holiday !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the freeware. Just what I needed to try out Automator instead of going the direct Applescript route. No matter how simple the Applescript task is, I usually have to hit my head against the wall for a while, trying to figure out my syntax errors (usually due to changes in Applescript syntax from version to version). Automator is very easy ASSUMING that all the functions one needs are easily available...

Reaction score
Does this action on work on the particular Mac that it is run on, or on mounted volumes also?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

it will display the invisible files on the mounted volume.

Run the Show Invisibles Action then Mount the remote volume and the Invisibles files and folders should be 'visible'.

Hope that helps

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi
I just dl'd the S&H Invisibles, and when I open Show Invisibles it says that there is "no default application specified." Am I doing something wrong?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Open up Automator and drag and drop "Show Invisibles"into the list on the left hand side...

That should add it in for you.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, these actions are what introduced me to this Site. I've used these actions quite a bit and find them quite useful. Especially when I want to delete an application and all of it's associated files, some of them being invisible of course. I even came up with an Automator app having both of these actions. It works perfectly on my eMac but some of these Automator apps for some reason or another have the propensity for not functioning properly on every Mac. Somebody might find it useful. :)

Attachments

• NowYouSeeEmNowYouDont.zip
    63.3 KB · Views: 369
Reaction score
Here's an updated version. This app now comes with an installer that installs Ric's Hide & Show Invisible's actions in your Automator folder in your Library and the NowYouSeeEmNowYouDont app on your desktop. In addition, the NowYouSeeEmNowYouDont window will appear frontmost after the invisibles are shown, unlike the previous version. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• NowYouSeeEmNowYouDontInstaller.app.zip
    90.1 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
Re: Show & Hide Invisibles Action - THANK YOU!!!!!!

:) Just joined looking for an answer/reason why all of my invisible files are suddenly showing up after two years with iMac Desktop! Did I punch a magic button to start this?!?

Anyway, the NowYouSeeItNowYouDon't app worked super - after I used the desktop version - the automator didn't show any Invisible File options.

Thanks again - nice to know a few good techies!!!

Reaction score
I'm glad that you found my app useful. Here's a newer version, if you're interested.

Attachments

• NowYouSeeEmNowYouDont.app.zip
    218.9 KB · Views: 363

Ask a Question