Scratch disk error in Zbrush

Reaction score
Hi---this is my first time posting here, kind of got myself into a iffy situation....

When I try to open Zbrush 4R4, a "Scratch Disk Error" message apppears:

"Incorrect scratch disk path specified in 'ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt'. The default 'Vmem' path will be used instead. " ... then... "Unable to read virtual memory file" .... then it crashes.

And in Terminal as this happens it reads:

Last login: Sat Sep 22 15:06:01 on ttys000
cpe-69-204-10-203:~ matthewheitanen$ /Applications/ZBrushOSX\ 4R4/ZBrush.app/Contents/MacOS/ZBrushOSX ; exit;
ZBrushOSX(10222,0xa09d0540) malloc: *** mmap(size=16777216) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Zbrush 4R4 is portable, and works like a charm on my brothers iMac. It's just with my iMac ...

I'm working on a project for an Independent Study, and had been bringing my external drive (which just passed away this morning!) to school.

Do I need to go about setting an "symbolic breakpoint" in terminal, if so how would that be done in this situation?

I do not know one line of code, but it seems this problem could be fixed in Terminal, because I can't find "ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt" in Users/Public/ZBrushData folder--
I found that "reconmended path" from a little searching online... I don't even have a visible path like that anywhere in system folders. (er..I think...)

I'm very concerned, and any help would be much appreciated, Thank you- Matt

Reaction score
This is more suited to Zbrush 4R4 support.

No you can not set break points in Terminal.

Reaction score
This is more suited to Zbrush 4R4 support.

No you can not set break points in Terminal.

True, sorry about that... do you know if I could opt for anything else in this situation? Or would it be possible to set break points with something else? I'll take the plunge if you give some instruction.

Reaction score
No that's something that needs to be done by the developer.

Can you go back to the Mac you got the software from and locate ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt? then copy it into the same place.

Reaction score
No that's something that needs to be done by the developer.

Can you go back to the Mac you got the software from and locate ZBrushScratchDiskPath.txt? then copy it into the same place.

Not exactly. I had installed the software from my external (when it was working, the night before) to brothers computer (to see if the program would work) ... Now just realized in in the last hour, that the mystery file I needed, the "ZBrushScratchDiskPath" text file was in the "ZbrushData folder" on his computer. Copied it to my thumbdrive-- opened the text file changed the path from users/Shared/ZBrushData, to where Zbrush is located on my computer...

....however I could not place that original text file where it was originally... Because when I click to Users and Shared, the latter folder tells me it can't be modified, "Shared can't be opened...don't have permission to see its contents", the folder has red minus symbol over it. I'm using an admin account and know my password, and can't access that folder... I think that might be part of the problem...
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

Reaction score
that's strange as every User should have r/w permissions to Shared thats what it's there for.

Use Disk Utilities and fix permissions, that could well be the problem.

Reaction score
that's strange as every User should have r/w permissions to Shared thats what it's there for.

Use Disk Utilities and fix permissions, that could well be the problem.
I'll give it shot and see what happens... I have good feeling about this... [note:as I was typing this message,disk utility was repairing permissions, now it just completed, I'm opening "Shared" and found (hoping) the source, anyways thank you so much for the helpful tips]- Matt :D

Ask a Question