DVD player scratching dvds

Reaction score
Hi. I'm pretty new to computers, in general, and very new to my Mac. I've had my MacBook since August and I'm still very much in the learning process, more hit and miss and looking it all up.:eek:

My problem is, I recently discovered the enjoyment of taking my macbook to bed with me with a good dvd :) before sleeping. :D Now here's the problem.:confused:

I got a brand new (copy) dvd copy of an old movie from a friend. It looked fine, and I loaded it and it played fine until almost the end. When I got to a certain spot, it broke up a little, then the picture stopped, but I could feel it was still spinning in my computer. I tried to eject it, but it wouldn't eject. Eventually, and I don't recall exactly how I did it, I finally got it to eject. When I looked at it, it had bad marks on it, it almost resembled an old vinyl record in one area. :eek:

I took the dvd and put it in my player to see what would happen on my player with the tv. The dvd (in that one area) is ruined. The beginning and ending all play fine.
icon4.gif

Since then, I cautiously tried another dvd in my computer, and it played just fine. It seemed to confirm that it was a problem with the first disk. I played a few more videos with no further problems, until the other night.
icon8.gif

I took a dvd out, that I had played before, and it was fine. In playing it, the picture stopped again. I could feel it spinning in the computer, as in the first case. Franticly I was able to finally get it ejected, and once again, those circular grooves are etched into the disk. :eek:

I have put the dvd through my cleaner and tried to play it on my regular player, as as suspected, that portion of the dvd is ruined.:eek:

What could be wrong with my almost new MacBook (It's a Tiger, haven't updated it, nothing in the update I will use).
icon5.gif

Ideas, please. Is there a way to clean this? Is it covered under the guarantee. The store nearest to me is a distance, and I don't want to make the trip for no reason.
icon3.gif

Also, as a side question. Does anyone know of a way to fix the dvds? One is irreplaceable. The first incident, I can replace that one.
icon3.gif

HELP. ANYONE!!
icon4.gif

Thanks,

Storm

Reaction score
This is one of those things that are hard to pinpoint -- unless you want to risk damaging other DVDs. Do you hear any odd noises from that drive?

As for the warranty, typically you get 90 days. But if you bought extended warranty, then I'd definitely take advantage of that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As usual, I never find something easy to happen. As far as I recall, there was a slight whirring sound, but I think it was no more than the usual sound if you listened very closely when a cd or dvd is working. There may have been a slight bit more vibration. And of course, I didn't opt for the extended warranty.

I think I'll make a dvd and see if I can make it do it, again. I have a dvd recorder, so if I ruin the dvd, no problem. I don't think I was being as observant as I could, I was more concerned to get the dvd out before more damage could be done, especially with the second, irreplaceable one. I feel fortunate it was only a small area that is affected.

Oh, one observation. The first time, the computer seemed to get extremely warm the first time. I thought that may have contributed to the problem the first time. Since then I am extremely aware to not allow it to get too warm and definitely sure nothing is blocking any venting.

I'll get back to you after it happens again and I can observe more what happens before, during and how I manage to finally make it cough up the dvd. I'm still not sure what convinced it to finally let go. I went as far as removing the battery to try and make it release the dvd.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Don't know about the problem of your Mac scratching DVDs but your local Blockbuster will almost certainly have a machine for polishing out scratches at a cost of (I think) £2. My son had an XBox 360 game which had scratches like the Grand Canyon. 5 minutes in their machine and it was perfect. No sign whatsoever of the original damage! It's worht the investment for sure. Best of luck.:cool:

Ask a Question