Safe Mode Question

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding Safe Mode, but first a little background information.

I have:
1. A plastic iMac (5.1) from early 2007 (or late 2006).
2. OS X 10.6.6
3. Performed first aid in disk utility
4. Performed hard ware diagnostics, everything tests fine (it was a while ago but nothing has changed)

I do not have:
1. Apple Care
2. Lots of money to spend on this computer
3. A time machine (not the application)

I say this because I have asked for help with this issue before and have received a variety of unhelpful responses, including:
1. Have it fixed with your warranty
2. Pay the $1000 to have Apple replace your logic board
3. You should have fixed this problem earlier. I do not have a time machine, so really don't suggest this.

So with all that pleasantness out of the way.

My problem is:
1. My Mac has crazy graphics issues that include but are not limited to:
a. blue/yellow/pink line/triangles/pixels
b. distorted triangles
c. rippin' and tearin'
2. The computer will freeze with in 5 to 10 minutes of use

However, my computer works just fine and dandy in safe mode, besides the fact that there is no audio, usb devices won't mount and spotlight doesn't work.

So my questions are:

1. Can someone give me an exact list of what happens in safe mode (for 10.6)?. I don't mean the dinky little list that Apple provides, I would like an in-depth description of what is different in safe mode.

2. How can I do what safe mode does in a normal boot manually?. I want to figure out exactly what is wrong that safe mode is fixing. So I want to do everything individually.

3. If there is no way that I can isolate the problem with safe mode, would a clean install do anything useful?

4. If I do do a clean install I only have the original 10.4 discs the computer came with and a 10.6 upgrade disc. My computer magically upgraded it self to 10.5 when I brought it in to the Apple store for this problem a while ago. So can I do a clean install and end up with 10.6 using the discs I have?

Thanks so much for any help!

Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello RottenApple ...

Let's start with the one question you ask which straight away I knew the answer to:

Q. Can I do a clean install and end up with 10.6 using the discs I have?

A. You mention you have the 10.6 Upgrade Disc. You can use the disc to upgrade 10.4 straight to 10.6. So don't worry about not having the 10.5 discs.​

This will sound lame but have you tried another user account to see if the same issues arise? If not, it would be worth it to create a new account if there isn't another one just to rule it out. The main thing here is to determine if the issue is user specific or System wide.

Other than that I just don't have the qualifications to tackle your questions, sorry :(

Ask a Question