Run out of applications memory

Reaction score
What can I do? I keep getting out of applications memory then have to quit finder?
Let me make a wild guess… Your Mac has 8 gibibytes of memory and 512 gigabytes of storage. It’s just the nature of the beast. You will have to limit the number of applications you have running at one time, as well as the number of background processes running. Finder does not have to be the one to quit in order to make room for memory and disk space. You can quit other applications first, e.g. Mail, Safari (or other browser(s)). Look at your settings for login items and remove the ones that you don’t have to have immediate access to during regular use. Minimize the load on, say, your screen saver by opting for one that is not animated or involves other fancy displays.

I blame Apple for offering these ridiculously minimal capabilities on their base models because users who can live with these minimums are not the average user. Why not start with a reasonable configuration and then allow buyers to “downgrade” from these defaults. Apple users deserve better. And don’t overcharge for options that we know cost them pennies to the dollar they ask for. They very well know that these configurations are not upgradeable short of adding external add-ons (aside from memory). Shameful.

Reaction score
It does sound a bit odd that you're frequently running out of application memory and having to quit Finder. This isn't a typical issue, especially since Finder is a core part of macOS and generally runs smoothly.
First things first, it's important to check how much RAM your Mac has and how it's being used. You can do this by opening the Activity Monitor (found in Applications > Utilities). Here, you'll be able to see if a specific app is consuming an unusually high amount of memory.

Ask a Question