Routing domains on different local networks

Reaction score
I could use some help figuring out what may be a simple /etc/hosts configuration thing, but honestly I have had a hard time finding an answer on Google, so here goes.

I work for a client and have a mail account with them. When I'm onsite, on their local network, I have to access the mail client through a URL like exchange.client.local (obviously I'm hiding the true URL for privacy purposes). But when I'm offsite, I have to access the mail client through a URL like owa.client.com. The exchange.client.local URL obviously doesn't work outside the building, and the owa.client.com URL doesn't work inside the building. (And I can't ask them to change their settings)

It's a real pain in Apple Mail, because I have to keep switching the configuration of the mail app when I come in the building and leave.

So my question, is there a way to tell the system that when I'm on the local network I can type in owa.client.com and it will resolve to exchange.client.local, but when I'm off the local network it will go to the original owa.client.com address?

Thanks!

Ask a Question