Resizing Images

Reaction score
Hi, I know automator can scale images to a specified length in pixels or percent, but I want to resize a lot of images to an exact 800px x 540px, but automator only lets you specify one dimension.

Any help?

Reaction score
Thats because it very unusual for people want to distort their images.

If you want the photo to retain its aspect ratio you only need to enter one dimension.

I'd suggest doing it in 2 steps, scale with the lesser dimension, then crop the greater.

Reaction score
What if I don't want it to retain its aspect ratio? and I don't really want any cropping, I just want to resize them all to those dimensions.
I have an idea for you btw, I was just about to pm you.

Reaction score
Ok, I've written an Automator Action that will do this. It's called squish.download

All care and no responsibility, use at your own risk, etc etc...
Only tested on Lion but should work on Snow Leopard.

NOTE: Put a copy step before it, or run the Automation on a copy, because it will change the Input Files!!!

Move the unzipped Action to your ~/Library/Automator folder.

Reaction score
Thanks, this look gd, I'll test it now. Also, I've noticed since doing it manually, for them to all be exactly the same, the resolutions also have to be set to 72, not sure if you're going to be able to add that though.

Reaction score
The DPI is device dependent. If you were using PS then yes it also maintains a Ruler, but this has very little to do with the x/y of pixels. 300x300 is still 300x300 even if its 1200 DPI.
If you're working in pixels then there no need to worry about DPI.

Ask a Question