Remote desktop help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...I figured it was the RAM. Sometimes RAM is actually the correct type, but a lower product line that doesn't meet the full Apple spec.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Hi again all. I am not sure if anyone will see this for this is an old thread.
I upgraded by old 2008 imac to OSX El Capitan version 10.11.6 and blessings to all here several years ago in 2019 who walked me through that upgrade and installation of more RAM to get to 4GB.

My Chrome is now giving me notices to get Google Chrome updates I will need Mac 10.13 or later. Is it possible for my computer to be upgraded any higher?

Looking at the "specs" for my machine. I have already upgraded the most possible. https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...inch-aluminum-early-2009-specs.html#macspecs1

Pre-Installed MacOS:X 10.5.6 (9G2030)Maximum MacOS:X 10.11.6*
Details:*This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" and OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" except for Power Nap and AirPlay Mirroring functionality (which also requires an Apple TV 2nd Gen or later). It also supports the last version of OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" -- including Mac-to-Mac AirDrop capability -- but no other advanced features are supported, including Metal graphics acceleration. It is not capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) or subsequent versions of the macOS at all.

Please note that OS X "Lion" 10.7 and subsequent versions of OS X are not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as these operating systems do not support the "Rosetta" environment. To run PowerPC applications on this Mac, it will be necessary to use Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" or earlier.

Also see: Which Macs are compatible with OS X El Capitan (10.11)? What are the system requirements? Which Macs support which features?

Reaction score
I don't think you NEED to do any Chrome updates. Just stick with the version that works with your OS. I do that routinely (and I don't think I'm bothered by Chrome update notices either.) I have two machines that are on El Cap, and Chrome seems pretty happy on them. At least turn off automatic updates. If your machine is not updatable with Chrome, Chrome will just tell you that, which you can ignore.

Reaction score
Hi DanL. Thanks for the reply! I was worried it will be a slippery slope as more programs also stop updating.
Work is avoiding updating the old computers because new equipment will require us moving to subscription base software with monthly costs instead of what we now have with stand-alone programs (that probably don't ever get updated anymore they are so old).
Probably easier at this point to just wait it out to retirement!

Anyway...Thanks again. Looking at the attached info I listed, my computer can't take anymore updating past where I already have done.

Ask a Question