Automator / Apple Remote Desktop Error Question. 29:85

Reaction score
Salutations,

I am having an odd problem that maybe some of you fine smart folks can help me out with.
I have a few labs I need to clean their desktops and clear their trash so I figured running Automator
through Remote Desktop was the way to go.

Initially I compiled a nice work flow. When I ran the process everything worked fine except for sending the messages and the deleting of the desktop.

Everything works fine with remote desktop. I can observe, control, copy, etcetera. the message error simply says "not authorized". But what I really was hoping to get working was the clearing/cleaning of desktops, so I ran a super simple workflow of remote desktop list selection and delete desktop items.

In short the error I am trying to resolve is Error: 1 "29:85 execution error: Finder got an error: unknown object type. (-1731)"
Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 9.56.18 AM.png
I am new to remoting Automator actions and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.
~Al

Reaction score
Been fiddling with it, perhaps its a root problem. Which its easy to run when just using ARD and unix, but what would be a good way to do it in Automator. Thanks cool peoples.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I just tried both the UNIX osascript command using root via ARD and your Automator setup on a Mac (running Snow Leopard) and both worked perfectly.

I am sure you have System Preferences... > Remote Management enabled and all Options checked on the remote Macs? And, is the root user enabled on the remote Macs?

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Cory,

Thank you for getting back to me and helping me out! I am still receiving the same results (or lack there of) and error after enabling root through the terminal for both machines and ensuring they all are sharing remote management. Do you have any other steps you might suggest? Thanks
~Alex
Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 8.59.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 8.54.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 8.55.14 AM.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Are you creating the Automator steps as a Workflow or as an Application?
-How are you trying to execute/run it?

C

Ask a Question