Reinstall os 9

Reaction score
Please help! I have an imac G4, which came with OS9 and OSX, not sure which version but it was in 2002. All was fine until i upgraded to Panther version 10.3, i am currently using 10.3.9. Instead of upgrading, i reinstalled completely, which wiped out my whole computer, which is fine except i no longer have OS9 and more specifically, i have lost ilife. and i need idvd.
Is there a way i can reinstall, i have all the CDs, without wiping out everything on my computer?

Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

If you have an OS 9 'bootable' CD then you are in luck.

You can Install OS 9 after doing a fresh install of OS X.

Just stick in the OS 9 CD, reboot whilst holding down the C key, and then when it boots select options and do a clean Install.

This will then install OS 9 without affecting OS X.

Have a read of this if you are unsure.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that, i will have a look tonight. Why would i have lost ilife in the first place, does that make sense?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

it depends on what was originally installed...and what type of disks you have.

Have you got a SYstem Restore disk, or a Install disk 2 ?

Some Macs came/come with iLife preinstalled whereas some Macs didn't have iLife, Apple seem to be shipping all new Macs 'with' iLife again now.

Can you remember if you purchased iLife seperately or not...

You could also pop the Panther install disk back in and see if there is an "Install Additional Software" icon...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, it came with ilife, and panther says it has ilife too, it says on the box, so i don't know why it didn't load, i will try that first and see if i can install additiona software, i suppose i should have done that when i first upgraded? Thanks

Ask a Question