Re-formatting Macbook 4 with Macbook 5 install disks ???

Reaction score
I'm desperate to re-format my mac -its a mess- but I lost my install disks. My Macbook is the Macbook 4 and I have the install disks from a Macbook 5. I read somewhere that you need either the install disks which came with the laptop or a newer version. Doesn't seem to be working though, If anyone could direct me with how to make this work or if its even possible i would really really appreciate it, thanks for reading :)

Reaction score
I hate to be bearer of bad tidings but from my experience, trying to fresh install from an install disk not specified for your particular machine usually doesn't work. Never has for me... Thanks to Apple for whatever reason they were thinking...

I have done this many times but always use a generic (real but not dedicated to a particular machine) install disk and it usually always works... although some specific drivers may need to be found and downloaded.

You can also find these disks as ISOs at different places on the web.

Reaction score
You can install from a generic set of install DVD's Like you would buy if you were upgrading your OS.

Reaction score
Check EBay or maybe a local school for the correct disks or a Full System Upgrade set. But DONT use system disks from different models.

Ask a Question