Ram memory eaten as soon as safari opened on El capitan

Reaction score
as soon as I open safari my ram (12meg) is eaten within 30 seconds . This only happens with Safari no other application and only since I downloaded El Capitan at the weekend. I have reinstalled the download but still have the problem

Can I just revert to Yosemite from the time machine backup, or any other suggestions would be appreciated

Reaction score
Yes, you can, but it will take some work (if you had a SuperDuper! backup/clone, it would be much, much easier) What you'll need to do is the following:

1. Make sure you have version 10.10.5 of the "Install OS X Yosemite" file, both inside your applications folder, and "outside" of it.

2. Copy that file to someplace on your external drive, not in the same "folder/location" as the Time Machine Backup.

3. Assuming you have a USB Flash Drive that is at least 8 gig, you'll need to create a bootable OS 10.10.5 Install Drive. This link explains how to do that:

http://www.macworld.com/article/236...otable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

4. Once that drive is created, boot your Mac from that drive. Then, use Disk Utility from that USB Flash Drive to Erase, Format, and if necessary (depending on your needs), Partition the internal drive.

4. Once that is done, do a complete, clean installation of OS 10.10.5 onto your internal drive. Then, boot your Mac from your internal drive.

5. Finally, use Migration Assistant (inside the Utilities folder) to "migrate" (copy) all your non-Apple stuff from your Time Machine backup to your internal drive. You should then be back in business.

I did download OS 10.11 (El Capitan) last week but did not install it on either of my Macs. The reasons are:

1. A couple of my critical third party applications have not been updated yet for El Capitan.

2. I "accidently" discovered issues with Office 2011 and OS 10.11, and especially Outlook (which I depend upon for my EMial).

3. An update to OS 10.11, OS 10.11.1, has been out form about a month, and is still in beta testing.

4. I have read further reports of issues with El Capitan. (I do not use Safari).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This can also happen if you have third-party Safari Extensions installed that aren't compatible with El Capitan. Also, make sure Adobe Flash and other Internet Plug-ins are up to date.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This can also happen if you have third-party Safari Extensions installed that aren't compatible with El Capitan. Also, make sure Adobe Flash and other Internet Plug-ins are up to date.

C

Good points, Cory. But, I have been seeing some reports of issues with El Capitan overall.

And yes, one needs to make sure all their applications are compatible with the new OS. For me, I have to see newer versions of Onyx, TechTool Pro, and Office 2011, at a minimum, before I move to the new OS. Also, with the 10.11.1 beta being out there for such a long time, I just might wait until that comes out, even if updates to the 3 important apps I mentioned come out soon.

Ask a Question