Problems with Leopard... not responding and shrinking disk space?!?!?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just updated from 10.3.9 to Leopard yesterday, and I've been having problems.

I tried using Software Update to get 10.5.1 and a newer QuickTime, but when I click on "Install", it does nothing and I end up having to force quit, where it says it's "not responding". The same thing happens when I download the update from the Apple site and try to install it: it gets as far as letting me select where I want to install it, but then the swirly rainbow thing shows up and keeps spinning until I force quit. Both times I tried waiting for about an hour for it to work, so I don't think it's just me being impatient.

I also noticed that my disk space had shrunken considerably; I had about 13GB free before the install; afterwards, it was only 2.5GB. When I tried to clear some space by getting rid of files, I had trouble sending things to the Trash--it would work once or twice, and then I would just get a message saying "Preparing to send items to Trash", which, like the install, would keep going on for hours until I force quit the Finder.

I tried rebooting several times, but nothing seemed to change this. What should I do??? I would appreciate any help and advice, but please keep in mind I'm not a computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination!

I'm using a 2.5 year old iBook G4, 1.2 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM.

Thanks a bunch!

Ask a Question