Problems with Internet access

Reaction score
My AppleID and password work perfectly on my iPad but not on my MacBook Pro. I recently upgraded to El Capitan and now can't get internet access at all on the Mac. This means that I can't renew my subscription to Word and it won't let me edit anything either.

Reaction score
How long has this been going on? Was the "lost" of the Apple ID and password on your MacBook Pro connected with any kind of event that happened on your MacBookPro? That is, did you upgrade any software, have any kind of hardware "crash", download something that could be "questionable", etc.?

Reaction score
The only upgrade I did was the operating system ( from 10.8). Before that, I had problems using a different BT hub which it was supposed to recognise automatically ( as my iPad did) but that eventually righted itself and I had Internet access. Now I have nothing at all.

Reaction score
When you upgraded from OS 10.8, what OS did you upgrade to? And, did you do just an upgrade, instead of a new installation of the new OS?

Reaction score
Hmm, I was under the impression that an upgrade would "correctly" retain most (if not all) prior settings (printer settings are typically the only ones that might need to be reset). Myself, with my last two "moves" of the Mac OS (ie, from OS 10.9.5 to OS 10.10.1, and then from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1), I first backed everything up to an external drive, then Erased and Formatted my internal SSD, then did a clean installation of the new OS, and finally, via Migration Assistant, "migrated"/copied all the "needed" stuff from my backup. (Of course, I first made sure that I had either upgraded any third party software I have, or obtained the upgrades). Except for resetting the printer settings, everything else worked fine, including network/internet settings. I did all that for both of my Macs.

I will, most likely, do the same thing when the next new Mac OS comes out. But, for your issue, I am at a loss. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I hope you can get it resolved. I understand how frustrating it must be. One would think it would be simple!

I forgot to mention one other thing, although it will most likely not help you out immediately. Last week. Apple released a new version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.4. If you have not upgraded yet, you might want to consider doing that. I actually posted a thread about that, and the various "upgrade" options, on this site. Here is the link to that post:

https://www.mac-help.com/threads/new-version-of-el-capitan-os-10-11-4.221906/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was also under the impression that an upgrade would help. I will look out for the new version of El Capitan. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Problem solved and it wasn't the OS or anything as difficult as I thought - it was wifi. Keychain Access, restarting the wireless router solved it. I am now invited to upgrade the OS again, so feel safe to try. Thanks again for you help.

Reaction score
Glad you got things resolved. Hopefully, you are performing disk maintenance/cleanup on a frequent basis, and are making frequent backups to an external device.

Ask a Question