Problems booting with tiger

Reaction score
OK I have received an old mac from work. 400 MHz power PC, 576 MB SDRAM.
I purchased a Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA/100 200GB hard-drive and partitioned into 3 equal partitions. I also bought a Tempo ATA133 PCI IDE controller. The new drive is connected to the card. This is currently the only drive in the machine. I planned on expanding at a later time.

I bought Tiger and started to install. Everything was going fine. But then I kept getting an error during the install and was forced to restart. After about 3x of doing the same thing. I plugged the hard-drive into my work station (see specs in my profile) and the OS installed with out a problem. I then put the hard-drive back in the 400 MHz machine and started up.

I get to the Grey screen with the apple and the spinning tick marks and then blue screen appears with the apple and the load bar (thought I was going to final check out Tiger). But this is as far as it goes. Am I missing something?

I ran Hardware utility and there are no errors.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

K

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I'll have to have a route around, I'm not sure of any known issues with that card ?

Have you tried the Card and the Drive in another Mac ? does that boot ?

Have you got the latest Firmware for the card and the Mac ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
My understanding is Tiger requires a machine with built in firewire. Does your machine meet all these minimums? This is from Apple's website:

Requirements
Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
DVD drive for installation
256MB of RAM
3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

Paul

Ask a Question