Printer drivers...

Reaction score
I am having a problem getting my Mac OS X.3.9 to recognize the drivers I downloaded for my printer.

I recently came across a Tektronix Phaser 740 and i downloaded the appropiate drivers from Xerox (Tektronix). Added the printer via the Printer Utility function and everything was peachy. Printed out a nice picture.

Then, I had a print job get stuck, so I went to delete the print job...but apparently i deleted the printer from my OS. Oops. No big deal right? Just add it again.

But now, it doesnt locate the drivers like it did before. It sees that there is a device hooked up to the USB port, but it refuses to find the drivers. There is no option, like on Windows, to manually browse for the drivers...So I'm kind of at the mercy of its search function. I tried downloading the drivers again...and it tells me that they are already loaded properly. But yet my Add Printer function will not relocate them...

HELP!!!!!

I'm fairly new to Mac...I love it, but I need to get this printer working. Thanks in advance!!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

out of curiosity, did you try plugging the printer in before loading the drivers ?

The Mac comes with hundreds of printer drivers already, I wonder if you deleted the one that was pre installed and not the one that you installed ?

If you see what I mean ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...

I had the printer plugged in and on before I installed the drivers. Also, deleting a printer from your Printer Utility screen, shouldn't delete any drivers, new or old...correct?

I'm just baffled as to why it worked easily before and now it won't. I like my Mac more than my Windows PC, but I have to say the amount of control that Windows allows you while installing perephials and their drivers is better. Why is there no browse to tell it where to look for the drivers?

Still baffled...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sorry I wasn't very clear...

What I meant was, the Mac may have already 'had' the driver on it, built into OS X as it were...

Then you installed another version of the driver, from the Internet...which all worked nicely, but it could of been the 'first' driver that was running the show !

Then when you accidently deleted the driver...you may have deleted the 'first' driver, not the one that you installed from the Internet.

Therefore when you are redownloading the Driver form the Internet, its already there hence the messages that you are getting....

Not that any of that helps, but it should be clearer.

Without being hands on and seeing what your seeing , the best (quickest solution) would be to do an Archive and Install and then plug in the printer without loading any software for it from the Internet to see if it works.

If it does great, if not download the the drivers from the Internet, and see if it works.

If you don't fancy doing the Archive and Install you could try Printer Setup Repair application and see if that helps.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question