Photoshop Elements 13 interface with Photos for Mac

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Yosemite and also to Photos for Mac. I have just installed Photoshop Elements 13 as I wanted to use t this as my editor, not being too keen on Photos. Unfortunately I have 2 problems occurring:
1. I can't seem to import photos from Photos app into Elements Organiser. It allows me to import from my old iPhotos library, but not the new Photos one.
2. It keeps telling me about upgrade available inc raw plug in, but when I try to upgrade it seems to get stuck on initialisation window.

Help! This is so frustrating...I'm not a great technically competent person, but it seems these 2 applications aren't recognising each other....

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AFAIK to edit your photos using Elements 13 with Photos.app (Apples replacement app for iPhoto), you will need to export the images out of Photos.app then import them into Elements 13, then export them out & import them back into Photos.app. It's messy & I can't seem to find any other workaround unless in Photos.app Preferences there is an option to set an external editor as there is in iPhoto. I'm still running Mac OS 10.7.6 so I can't test this as I can't run Photos.app.

Anyway click on the photo you want to edit then go to:
  • File > Export > Export Unmodified Original (If you don't care about the highest quality possible, you can simply drag and drop the photo to your desktop.)
  • Save the photo to your desktop.
  • From your desktop, drag the photo into your favorite image editor. (Or Ctrl-Click the photo and choose "Open with...")

Reaction score
You might want to use image capture (in your applications folder) to transfer the photos instead - that would simply your workflow
And as to where the photos are - same as before - in the Photos (or iPhoto - or Aperture) library - and yes if you import to Photos and then in some undisclosed way add the photos to PSE organizer you have two copies - one in PSE and one in Photos
I recently used the adobe (moved to GIMP and aurorahdr tools). adobe became difficult for me)

Ask a Question