Photoshop alternatives?

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a 2012-model MacBook Pro to a brand new MacBook Air. My old Adobe Creative Suite programs don't work with Catalina, and I'm not up for paying chunk of change to Adobe every month; I used the apps a bit, but not enough to merit the subscription fee, and I don't use them for work. (The subscription programs are not forgiving of the home, non-business user.)

So I'm looking into alternatives. I tried GIMP, which I find a little clumsy. I don't like that it has its own counterpart to the Finder - my shortcuts aren't in the sidebar. Also, it can't convert RGB files to CMYK, at least as far as I can tell.

What are some other good apps? Free would be nice, but I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks or so for a reasonable program.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I ditched Adobe and Microsoft a while ago when they went to subscription-based models. I agree that GIMP can be a bit clunky.

I use the following, which are around $30-50 USD each:

Photoshop replacements:
Affinity Photo - $49.99 - App Store
GraphicConverter 11 - $39.95 - Lemke Software website or GraphicConverter 11 - $39.99 - App Store
Pixelmator - $29.99 - App Store
Pixelmator Pro - $39.99 - App Store

Illustrator replacement
Affinity Designer - $49.99 - App Store

InDesign replacement
Affinity Publisher - $49.99 - App Store

The Affinity applications are VERY nice. I have used and bought every upgrade of GraphicConverter since version 1 or 2 on floppy in 1997! Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro are nice, but the flow is a bit different.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Wow, Graphic Converter! I used that 20 years ago. I'd forgotten all about it.

I found an app called Krita that will convert RGB to CMYK. Yeah, I may need to try out the Affinity stuff. Eventually I'm going to need an InDesign-type app. Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks Cory.. You are always there helping others. If you are still monitoring this thread...
I'm an old man.. technically challenged. I've had Photoshop.. WAAAY to advanced for my aging brain. I've used Photoshop Elements.. last version was 8.

Regarding the Affinity series you mentioned.. How difficult are they to learn.. and are there likely any YouTube etc videos to help learn? I'm truly a visual/audio learner.. I've never read instruction manuals very successfully.

Reaction score
Hello,

I ditched Adobe and Microsoft a while ago when they went to subscription-based models. I agree that GIMP can be a bit clunky.

Photoshop replacements:
GraphicConverter 11 - $39.95 - Lemke Software website or GraphicConverter 11 - $39.99 - App Store

Illustrator replacement

InDesign replacement

The Affinity applications are VERY nice. I have used and bought every upgrade of GraphicConverter since version 1 or 2 on floppy in 1997! Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro are nice, but the flow is a bit different.

Hope that helps,

C
Thanks Cory. This is great information. I’m another one who said goodbye to Adobe when they changed to subscription only. I wonder if that move was very profitable for them. Seems a lot of people just went to other software.

mag

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a 2012-model MacBook Pro to a brand new MacBook Air. My old Adobe Creative Suite programs don't work with Catalina, and I'm not up for paying chunk of change to Adobe every month; I used the apps a bit, but not enough to merit the subscription fee, and I don't use them for work. (The subscription programs are not forgiving of the home, non-business user.)

So I'm looking into alternatives. I tried GIMP, which I find a little clumsy. I don't like that it has its own counterpart to the Finder - my shortcuts aren't in the sidebar. Also, it can't convert RGB files to CMYK, at least as far as I can tell.

What are some other good apps? Free would be nice, but I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks or so for a reasonable program.
Affinity Photo. You buy it (under 100$) for life and it is quite solid!

Reaction score
Hello,

Photoshop replacements:

Illustrator replacement

InDesign replacement

Hope that helps,

C
While I did just subscribe to the Adobe Creative Suite, I would rather not
Hello,

Photoshop replacements:

Illustrator replacement

InDesign replacement

Hope that helps,

C
Hi, I recently subscribed to the Adobe suite since I read that older versions would not work with the Catalina OS, but I don't really want to continue to pay for the subscription. I mainly use Illustrator (since this is what I taught myself over ten years ago). Question: Can I modify my Illustrator files with the Affinity Designer?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, you can open and edit Illustrator files, since they are mostly EPS files.

From the Affinity Designer website:
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 10.51.18.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 10.51.27.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 10.53.01.png

Here's a nice list of Illustrator replacements: AppleInsider - Best Alternatives to Adobe Illustrator for iOS and Mac

Affinity Designer opens all of my old Illustrator files just fine.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, you can open and edit Illustrator files, since they are mostly EPS files.

From the Affinity Designer website:
View attachment 3577

View attachment 3578

View attachment 3579

Here's a nice list of Illustrator replacements: AppleInsider - Best Alternatives to Adobe Illustrator for iOS and Mac

Affinity Designer opens all of my old Illustrator files just fine.

C
Wow, I guess I could have looked that up instead of bothering you. This is great news - thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question