ownership and permission

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive that normally shows on my desktop. I decided to secure my files by selecting "no access" under Ownership & Permissions tab. Now the external hard drive does not show up on my desktop. Does anybody know what to do? I am the admin by the way. I already tried going to disk utility to repair permissions, but the option is greyed out.

Macbook 13
OS TIGER

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
VERY bad idea. You have basically locked yourself out of the HD.

I believe you can get back in by logging in as root and changing permissions that way.

There is some good info on this here:

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

Just be careful...you can do some serious damage in hte Terminal if you don't know what you're doing. Read the section titled "Viewing and Changing Permissions With Terminal". You will be using the chown command.

I will see if I can come up with a step-by-step for you.

C

Reaction score
thanks for the help. I decided to not mess with the commands, so reformatted it. Can you please tell me what is the point of putting "no access" as an option, if everyone gets locked out of the files.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You can apply the No Access to Groups, Others, etc. Permissions of that sort are usually set on volumes and files for use with file servers and web servers.

C

Ask a Question