OS X Server 10.4.4 DNS stops

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have b*****ing around with this server for a week and a half so far, just getting it ready to switch over and I have fix most of the hassels along the way, but this one has me stumped... I start the server up and everything seems to run nicley I have created my DNS files in Bind. But when I try to start the DNS up in the GUI it runs for about 1 min and then when I look again it's just stopped?? no reason just not running??? I have checked the GUI side of the DNS and all my info I have put in with bind is there, so I have to assume it's all ok. Has anyone else seen this??

Thanks for any reply cause my hair is falling out..
Beerme

Reaction score
Have you looked in the logfiles to see if you are getting any error messages come up...
Will log in an have a look at my server tomorrow but a good place to look would be in the..
/var directory and check out your logfiles to see if anything strange is happening there...
actually it maybe /var/logs or similar..go have a look around
Cheers,
Russ

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back to me Russ,
I have a look and there is an error but I dont think its related. However since I havent seen an error like this one I suppose I dont know, maybe it is.
Anyway this is the error
Jan 30 12:02:38 mail postfix/smtpd[2191]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available\n
Jan 30 12:03:01 mail postfix/smtpd[2200]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available\n
Jan 30 12:07:46 mail postfix/smtpd[2248]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available\n
Jan 30 12:08:35 mail postfix/smtpd[2257]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available\n
Jan 30 12:16:33 mail postfix/smtpd[2340]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available\n
Jan 30 12:16:41 mail postfix/smtpd[2346]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available\n
and on and on......
I was looking for a DNS log but couldnt see one. this is the Mail log.

Thanks again Russ

:eek:

Reaction score
:confused: Hi Russ,
I must have been on drugs yesterday (very busy with other stuff and not paying attention) The log error is from our Mail Server not the problem DNS server......Sorry.
I have been looking into the DNS server problem and have one question, which may sound dumb, but, do I need to have the DNS server on our network for the DNS to run??? At the moment I have our old DNS server running on the network and rather than changing everything and stuffing around, I was setting up the New Server off our network and then once I had it ready I was transferring it on the weekend... The DNS when I start it in Server Admin, it seems to run for about 2 minutes and then stops for no reason?? Is this because it goes looking for the machines and when it cant find them it stops the DNS running??
Sorry for the last message again.

Thanks
Rob

Reaction score
Hi Again,
FYI
I was just checking things out on the NEW DNS Server and I went to look at the SOA file I created in Bind, this was after connecting the Server to our network, it's for what ever reason messed my files up badly? They are now so, all over the shop that I was thinking of ditch those SOA files and put the originals back in place and then start it up using the Server Admin to create the SOA files????
What's your thoughts?

Thanks again
Rob

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Rob and welcome !

Personally I would start over.

Whilst the server is still in 'testing/setup' stage it's easier to do it over.

Once the server is live any changes you need to make, obviously can affect your users.

From my own experience I would start from scratch and make sure that every thing you do you write down in a book...

...this is especially handy when editing config files via Terminal. Otherwise, for whatever reason you may have to do a reinstall 12 months down the line and instead of what should be a simple process you forget what files you had edited manually and not via the GUI...it can be a real pain !

This way you will be able to check your notes to see exactly what changes you had made !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question