Operating system Upgrade

Reaction score
I have borrowed an old I Mac 2 15B so that I can use an application 'type2phone' for my I phone 4s. To do this I need to upgrade the operating system from the current version 10.4.11 to OSX 10.6.2 at least. There are some installation discs on E bay for this 10.6.2 with a reference 2Z691-6590A install DVD and a further disc 2Z691-6608A Application DVD. Will these be O.K. for use with this I Mac?

It is also necessary to have a Bluetooth link between the Iphone and I mac. If I point at the Bluetooth icon on the desktop it reports that Bluetooth is not available. I have searched the net about this and there are many posts that indicate that I mac's can lose the driver for Bluetooth which reports in this way. As many will be aware, with a PC you simply have to go to Device Manager which will show if Bluetooth is present and gives the option to re-install the drivers if there is a problem. Does the IMac have a similar system for identifying whether a Bluetooth module is installed and if the drivers are present.

I would be most obliged for any help

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

There are some installation discs on E bay for this 10.6.2 with a reference 2Z691-6590A install DVD and a further disc 2Z691-6608A Application DVD. Will these be O.K. for use with this I Mac?

Personally I would buy from Apple have a look here they are exceptionally cheap and you know exactly what you are getting IE: the correct installation disks.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
If I point at the Bluetooth icon on the desktop it reports that Bluetooth is not available

Possibly try this.
Go to: Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences and delete the file com.apple.Bluetooth.plist, Now restart the iMac but you will need to re-pair your Bluetooth devices.

Reaction score
old I Mac 2 15B
Sorry, this doesn't help.

In Applications/Utilities there is System Information

In the Hardware section Model Identifier, something like iMac13,2.

a iMac2,1 has no hope of running 10.6

Reaction score
Good evening,

I have looked at the Imac I borrowed The Hardware overview is as follows

Model Identifier I Mac 4.2
Processer Intel Core Duo IM42
Processor Speed 1.83 GHz
Processors1
Number of cores 2
L2 Cache per processor 2 Mb
Memory 1 GB
bus speed 667Mhz
Boot rom version IM420071.B03S
SMC ver 1.6foSer No CK631023V2J

According to the link given by oldscribe the Apple site appears to suggest that I can buy a New installation disc for Snow Leopard for about £15 and in the F.A.Q it would suggest that this MAC can take Snow Leopard.

Would appreciate your further help to confirm that I will be O.K with this before I buy the DVD. Sorry for seeming dim but I have used PC's for very many years and I have never used a MAC before. Kind Regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
An iMac 4,2 is a Mid 2006 17-inch model. It can indeed take Snow Leopard, which is the maximum OS it supports.

C

Reaction score
10.6 is Snow Leopard, that's the max version of OSX the hardware can run.

Reaction score
The software on offer is 10.6.3 not just 10.6 Are the two the same and will 10.6.3 be ok? Sorry to be picky but I don't want to order the wrong issue number. Regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct, Snow Leopard is 10.6.

Your iMac can use any version - 10.6 thru 10.6.8. They are all the same...the last number is simply which version of update it is. When you buy the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disc and install it, you will then run Software Update to bring it up to the latest version 10.6.8.

Software Update on a Mac is the same as running Windows Update - it downloads the latest updates.
C

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I always thought that Snow Leopard was a great OS X and incorporated some very neat features.:)
Let us know how you get on.

Just to add a foot note a friend who was running Leopard bought a new iPhone 5C and found she needed to upgrade to SL in order to get the phone connected through iTunes, bought the disks from Apple upgraded fine and is extremely happy with SL.

Ask a Question