Old Mac with OS9-10

Reaction score
I have an older Power Mac 867, 1 gig ram with OS9 and 10 installed. I also have "Tiger 10.4" I bought and installed back when. Since i only use this Mac for Photoshop CS2 and Safari, I'd like to take everything out and just run Tiger and PS2 ? Can I do it with what I have and would it be worth it ? Would it be a little faster ? I'm sure you can tell I'm not very tech oriented ( although I bought the Mac in the early 00's and probably should be ! ) Any advise hints, warnings would be appreciated.

Charlie

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'll leave it alone. As they say, " .... if it aint broke, don't fix it, etc. etc.

Charlie

Reaction score
After thinking for the last two weeks, I have another question ? Talk about senior mements, or days ... ! My Mac is 11 years old with a 60 gig HD. What about installing a new HD, maybe a 60 gig SADA ? I understand they are solid state and faster than conventional HD's ?

Most of my file are on an external drive with only programs on the internal drive.

I'd like to buy a new Imac, but from what I read the programs I own and use would be made obsolete due to OS Lion ?

Again thanks for all ideas

Reaction score
Sorry but the SSD are not compatible as internal drives with your iMac. Yours would be IDE or ATA and now they are SATA, they are not interchangeable.

Even finding a new standard drive replace that could be used could be a problem. 11 years is a long long time in computer years.

Our Tech would not open a Mac of that age, the internals, the plastics of both the case and the connectors become very very brittle. There would be no guaranty that it would even go again, after pulling it apart. YMMV.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just baby it till it quits. The price of upgrading and replacing software will damn near double the price, but It's been 11 trouble free years, so I guess i'm just being an old grump. Thanks again.

Charlie

Reaction score
I would point out Pixelmator, I switched from PS as I couldn't justify the price and PXM does 100% of my needs at a fraction of the price.

Reaction score
I just spent some time reading about Pixelmator and it sounds interesting. I have 10.6.8 on my MacBook and will give it a try.

charlie

Ask a Question