Office version

Reaction score
Hi

I need a little bit of help, please. I've just purchased a 21.5 Mac updated to 2013, with Catalonia, and I thought I could put Office 2016 for Mac on it but all I get is being pointed to office 365. I don't want the expense of office 365. Can anyone give me a workaround or what Office version works with my Mac?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Microsoft Office 2016 is officially no longer supported by Microsoft as of 2020. It's minimum macOS version is Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later. So, 2016 should work if you already have the installer. You won't be able to buy it from Microsoft any longer.

You should be able to still purchase Office Home & Student 2021 as one-time purchase for $149.99. It should be compatible with Catalina, but Microsoft only supports the three most recent versions of macOS.

You could also look into alternatives like Apple's iWork suite (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) which is free and the Google G Suite (Docs/Sheets/Slides) which is free with a Google account. Both of them are compatible with Office files - they can open/save as their Office counterparts.

Hope that helps!

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Microsoft Office 2016 is officially no longer supported by Microsoft as of 2020. It's minimum macOS version is Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later. So, 2016 should work if you already have the installer. You won't be able to buy it from Microsoft any longer.

You should be able to still purchase Office Home & Student 2021 as one-time purchase for $149.99. It should be compatible with Catalina, but Microsoft only supports the three most recent versions of macOS.

You could also look into alternatives like Apple's iWork suite (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) which is free and the Google G Suite (Docs/Sheets/Slides) which is free with a Google account. Both of them are compatible with Office files - they can open/save as their Office counterparts.

Hope that helps!

C

Thanks for the reply, it helps in a way but it doesn't in another. I already have a copy of 2016 with the key but again it starts to install then a window pops up stating that I need 365. As for apple products, as I already have a large collection of Word and Excel files that I can't open and I need to to standardise for those who have access to my files, I need office.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I re-read and it seems you have a copy already but cannot install.

Microsoft's documentation states you should still be able to install: Reinstall and reactivate Office 2016 for Mac

When the popup comes on the screen, is there no way to cancel it and continue with the install? Can you add a screen shot?

Maybe the Microsoft Support Community folks can help, since there are Microsoft Agent|Moderators there?

C

Reaction score
Hi there,

It seems like you have an online installer for Office 2016. You need to use a standalone installer in order to be able to install Office 2016 for Mac. You can download the latest installer for Office 2016 at https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/...Microsoft_Office_16.16.20101200_Installer.pkg

After you install office 2016, you will need to sign into the Microsoft Account that you purchased the key under in order to Activate Office 2016.

Reaction score
A. work-around ... I would suggest LibreOffice. Its free, open source and allows you to work with most types of Microsoft Office files. Truthfully I wonder why people still pay for Microsoft Office. https://www.libreoffice.org

Ask a Question