Office 2004 install issue

Reaction score
I am trying to install office 2004 on my new mac book. i insert the disk and double click on the install assistant. Every time i try this, adobe photoshop launches and ultimately gives me an error that adobe does not recognize the file type. I tried to open it with another application, but don't see one that makes sense. help!

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but I am not as computer savy as some. I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I have the Microsoft Office Pro 2004 install disk and that is what i am using.

Reaction score
Hi Swing4me, and welcome to the forums :)

In your first post you mention that you click on an "install assistant" and that this is when things go wrong for you.

As Cory queried, and I also would like to know, where is the "install assistant" that you click located on the disc? Is it in a folder on the disc? If you right click on it and "get info" what is the extension shown with the "install assistant?

I know this may be obvious, but have you read the install instructions that come with the disc? The reason I ask is because many people don't bother to read the instructions (me included) and they may point you in the right direction :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ahhh...I popped my Office 2004 disc in...you meant you are using Office Setup Assistant.

For some reason, that app has been mapped to open with Photoshop. The easiest workaround is to simply use the other install method for Microsoft Office. Drag the folder labeled Microsoft Office 2004 below the Office Setup Assistant to your Applications folder.

You'll need a untility like OnyX or Cocktail to rebuild your Launch Services database to correct that.

C

Ask a Question