Not new to Mac but new to this forum

Reaction score
Hello all. Been a Mac user since 2009 when I got a used PowerMac G3 Blue and White with dual 450's (if I remember correctly). I maxed out the ram and added a SATA card so I could boot SATA drives. The machine had Tiger installed. I loved it but wanted modern so gave it to my son in law and bought a new Mini. Craved power so got a used Intel (Xeon) Pro from a buddy and had that for a few years. Left the Mac world and went back my open source roots on an HP z800 (2011) with dual 6 core Xeons. Upgraded to a modern homebuilt machine (i7) and after futzing around way too much constantly, made the hard choice to go back to Mac 100%. I have been a Linux and BSD user since 1998 and used to love FOSS platforms, but the older I get, I just want something that works without constantly having to tweak. Also, as we all know, Mac integration is unprecedented and doing that level of integration in the FOSS world requires a few burning hoops that I am unwilling to jump through.

So here I am. I own a 2020 Mini (i7 6 core, 32GB ram, 1TB), a 2019 MacBook Pro 13" (8GB, 512GB) and of course and iPhone. I still own the i7 homebuilt but it has Windows 10 home installed for gaming. I use it only for gaming, nothing else. Big WoW player (10 years or so) and also play some single player RPGs.

The Mini gets used for photo scanning and editing, writing and has my hack lab running on VMWare. I use my MacBook the most, as it is always on and much faster than switching monitor sources, firing up the Mini, etc.

I don't have very many questions as I am quite happy with my machines.

Reaction score
Thanks! It's funny: been using Linux and/or BSD as a desktop for a very long time and forums for those platforms are a buzz of topics and posts. Mac forums are very quiet in comparison, but I can say that I like it. I wanted consistency, which is why I am here.

Ask a Question