New - need email help!

Reaction score
I have had my first Mac for about 8 weeks.
I still cannot figure out a few things.
I'm sure I'll ask questions regularly

First and formost, email!
I have figured out how to set up a smart mailbox.
My blog posts now go into the smart mailbox I set up for them and also into my inbox.
Problem is, when I try to delete them from my inbox - they then also delete from my smart mailbox!
I want to be able to keep the ones in the smart box, of course.

Also, when I get an email from my business that doesn't automatically go into the smart mailbox (for whatever reason) - how can I move it into there?

Thanks!
HL

Reaction score
"Smart mailbox" isn't really a separate folder, it's rather a search of the mail messages that matches the criteria set up for said smart mailbox. (Like if you open spotlight and search for files, you get a list of files as a result, but the files themselves aren't moved... "smart folders" in finder, and "smart playlists" in iTunes work the same way, they're all powered by spotlight if I remember correctly).

I don't have access to a Mac at the moment, but I believe you can create a folder by just right-clicking (or control-clicking) on the folder/mail box where you want to create said folder and then chose "New folder" in the pop-up menu, then move messages there manually. I don't remember how to set up filters to automatically move mail there though.

Ask a Question