New mac mini with Lion Server - web hosting??

Reaction score
HI

Just looking for a little help and or advice.

I have just got my first serious mac - a mini mac i7 2ghz server running lion server 10.7.3

have used PC's for a number of years and code html and php and so wanted to set up a local web server to play with and test my creations.

On setting up the server (configuring apache/php and mysql) i find that the web hosting is set to a folder /library/server/web/data/sites/default which is in itself not a huge problem, however - every new file I save in there is saved with the the permissions set to no access to anyone but me.

I have tried chmod 755 on the directory, and going in through the gui and saving the permissions and "applying to enclosed items" but this only alters the files currently in there - any new files, or any files which are changed and resaved are changed to No access to anyone but system admin.

how can I get around this??

Reaction score
how can I get around this??
never try and get around how Server wants you to do it, it will come back to bite you;-)

We've found just using the User Site far easier.

Every user space has it's own Site folder this is turned on via System Preference > Sharing. So if you want to just run a LAN site this is the best way.

Reaction score
thanks for that - but when I try to use the server site it still reverts to the web server default site when I access the server from the lan - do I have to turn off web serving all together and just share the ~/site folder?
:cool:

Reaction score
We just share the ~/site folder and use computer name/~Username to access.

I think the problem is that the Mac makes it very difficult to access the Folders of "other" users. In a normal situation you would be loading the site from another computer via FTP. We have both Lion and Snow Leopard servers, and support about 6 others, but when it comes to getting people making their own websites we're run into the same problem you have.

Its one of those things every version OS X has apache and its surprisingly easy to enable, for each user, but to use with the "default" one is a pain.

If you were running it as a hosting service, you wouldn't use that one either, as each site would have its own Userspace, then a DNS pointing to the right URL.

Reaction score
the easiest thing for me to do is to load up one of my zboxes with ubuntu and run that as a dedicated web server in house - I have all the priviledges I need.

I only really got the lion box to program ios apps anyhow - just thought since it was a server I could use it both jobs.

Hey ho ::D

Ask a Question