New here & new to Mac

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Alan. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and former transplant from Colorado. I've been using PCs since the days of DOS (Timex-Sinclair 1000, Texas Instruments TI/99-4a, Radio Shack Color Computer and on up the ladder). I have no problems finding my way around a Windows PC. For some strange reason last week I up & bought a MacBook Pro 13.3" with OS X Mavericks (no retina display, darn it!), with an Intel i5 processor & 4GB of RAM & a 500 GB HDD.

This is my first foray into the Mac World, although I have played a little with Linux a time or two & I understand both systems are based on Unix.

I haven't decided if I like the Mac yet, or not. I think I like it. The main problem I'm having is 1) a couple times a day the system just totally locks up & I have to power down & restart. I thought Macs were immune to that sort of thing. My other problem is finding software similar to what I was using on Windows.

So, anyway, just stopped in to say "Hi" & now I'll go snoop around the forum a little bit.

Alan

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Welcome! We hope you'll enjoy your stay here, and we'll try and help you.

Regarding the issue with your machine locking up, did you buy the MacBook Pro brand new? Also, is the version of Mavericks 10.9.5? That is the latest version.

As for "like" software, please let us know what software you used on your PCs that you'd like to use on a Mac. Unless it is something that is specific to some industry, or related to your line of work, I suspect there is a Mac version, or something equivalent (or maybe even better). One obvious one is Office 2011 for the Mac.

Ask a Question