Is there any way to update a mac on version 10.6 to the latest version

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm rather new to forums so I apologize if I accidentally post this in the wrong place.

My family just recently got a new mac, so I inherited the old one. I'd like to use some of the apps from the new version, but my newly inherited old mac is on version 10.6.8. I would really really like to update it, but I can't. Apple employees have told us that they wont work on a mac this old, and I really just know the basic mac stuff. Please help, I'd really like for this mac to be updated.

Thank you!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
let us know as much info about this Mac as you can fine. Then we can work out which Mac OS version it can be upgraded to.

If you start it up then go to the  icon in the upper left of the screen & look for "About This Mac" or something similar, then let us know what you see in the window that opens.

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm rather new to forums so I apologize if I accidentally post this in the wrong place.

My family just recently got a new mac, so I inherited the old one. I'd like to use some of the apps from the new version, but my newly inherited old mac is on version 10.6.8. I would really really like to update it, but I can't. Apple employees have told us that they wont work on a mac this old, and I really just know the basic mac stuff. Please help, I'd really like for this mac to be updated.

Thank you!

Hi. Can you give us more information about your Mac? How old is it? Once macs reach a certain age, they can't run more recent operating systems. My G3 for example is stuck at OSX 10.4.11, while my iMaC 24"- 2008 is limited to OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I've found that trying to stretch the OS beyond these systems leads to more head-aches than it's worth. In addition, some Apple updates must be purchased in order to qualify for some of the more recent free updates. I have had success from Apple's site located here: <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht201541>. Good luck!

Ask a Question