My powerbook g4 will not boot.

Reaction score
Hello,
My husband got a newer mac and gave me his PB g4. In an attempt to reinstall the OS-MAC OS X via the install disk, i got an error. "check the cd for scratches or fingerprints and try again." We cleaned the cd and attempted it again. It got part of the way through the install and stopped. we had opted for the "archive and install" method. It seems that the cd must be bad, so I have called apple and they are sending another...in 5 to 7 days:( . So, anyway, I am wondering if there is anyway to get back to the original OS X. It has not booted for me thus far. I have reset the PRAM, no help. Last night when this first happened, I got the flashing ?/ picasso face. Today I tried holding down the option key while turning on, and got the two arrows. I pressed the right arrow, and it took me to the apple background with the neverending spinning wheel. Is it possible thaqt the "archive" was made before the "install" was initiated, and if so how do i get to it. Finally, I do have access to Utilities tab, but don't know what to do with it. Is there any immediate help for me, or do I have to wait to try to install CD? Sorry post is so long.
thnaks,
hrebaa7890

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

If it is a 10.3 CD then you could pop it into your husbands Mac and use disk utility to make a "DVD/ CDR" master... then from that burn a new CD.

I have done this in the past, with other install disks, they won't install because of scratches yet you are sometimes able to make a duplicate of them succesfully !

Alternatively if your Husband has a Firewire cable you can plug that into each Mac...then turn your Mac on whilst holding down the T key, this will boot your Mac into Target Mode... the drive should then appear on your Husbands Desktop...

You can then have a look to see if there is anything left ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,
Thank you for the awesome suggestions. Obviously, my problem was not the cd, but the lack of remaining space on the hard drive. Today I had it format the hard drive and tried the install and it worked. I will definately use the firewire idea at some point in the future.
Thanks again,
Reba

Ask a Question