Missing Web History

Reaction score
I've just noticed that my browsing history is being deleted as soon as I close the page. I checked Safari preferences and the only reference to history I can see is an option to decide how long to leave the history of sites you've visited and mine is set at '1 year.'

My history is totally clear of anything so I visited 3 websites and then checked to see if they were being recorded in the history tab, which they were. However, when I then closed the window (without quitting Safari) and reopened a new one, the three websites were no longer recorded.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening? I really want my browsing history to be available to me and would never knowingly change the setting like this. I suspect it happened recently when I tried to upgrade to El Capitan and caused a total meltdown of my system. I thought most of it had been resolved but perhaps this is another casualty.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Are you browsing in a private window by any chance? It will have a dark gray background URL bar instead of white?

C

Reaction score
No, I checked that. What's even stranger is that after I posted my last message, I checked the history again a little while later, and it was back! However, when I quit Safari and reopened it, it has gone again! All I can see is the two pages I visited before replying to your post.

One thought is that I left Safari open the last time and I wonder if it is a problem with the history loading and maybe it is taking ages before it does. This might explain why it suddenly reappeared.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It could have a delay is you have hundreds/thousands of history items going back days/weeks/years of days.

Also, I re-read your original post and noticed you had trouble upgrading to El Capitan. Did it finally successfully install, or are you still on an older version?

C

Reaction score
I changed the setting to a month but it still isn't showing anything.

I didn't manage to install El Capitan as it stopped responding partway through the install process so the only way was back and it took quite a lot of work before even that worked. Needless to say, I have no intention of trying it again! I got the dreaded 'No Entry' sign and could do nothing at all.

Ask a Question