Migration assistant

Reaction score
I have partially migrated some documents from my 2011 I-Mac to my new MacBook Pro using the Migration Assistant. A curious thing happened in that I now have two separate accounts on the MBP, with different passwords quite unintentionally. One is from the I-Mac, the other from the initial settings of the MBP.

It was a little alarming at first since the usual MBP password & fingerprint would not work, and of course, a great deal more storage space is now occupied. I intend to make use of the new arrangement and keep the two accounts. Yet to be seen whether Time Machine backups of both are made.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Did you already have a user account setup with the same name? If so, Migration Assistant will not "add" the migrated files to that account, it will create a new account.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Did you already have a user account setup with the same name? If so, Migration Assistant will not "add" the migrated files to that account, it will create a new account.

C
Cory,
Both machines on latest Sierra, updated. I think what you are suggesting has happened. The new MBP 13inch now has two users. Not a problem, just unexpected.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It's a semi-common issue, and Apple doesn't really warn you about it openly. However, Migration Assistant should have asked you about it if they have the exact same name.

Move your content to a new Mac

"If you transfer an account that has the same name as an account on your new Mac, you're asked to rename the old account or replace the one on your new Mac. If you rename, the old account appears as a separate user on your new Mac, with a separate home folder and login. If you replace, the old account overwrites the account on your new Mac, including everything in its home folder."

C

Ask a Question