Migration Assistant Help Please!

Reaction score
I'm trying to wirelessly transfer data from my mid-2010 Pro to my new Pro. Both have fully updated software (OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1 on both units) and no updates remaining (everything right down to printer updates have been installed). Both units have been restarted within the last 24-hours. Both units have firewalls off (all connections allowed). Both units are connected to the same Wifi. On the unit I am transferring FROM, my source computer, I have selected "to another Mac" in MA, and on the unit I am transferring TO I have selected "from another Mac". A message appears every time I attempt to transfer files ("MacBook Pro 1 (my source computer) could not be reached" ensure both computers are on and connected to the same network) and the unit I am transferring FROM will not recognize the unit I am transferring TO. They are 100% on the same network. I have checked and rechecked. What am I doing wrong here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Is there a reason you need to do it via wireless? I have no experience in doing it that way.

Reaction score
I don't need to, but it was my understanding that it could be done that way. How else would I go about it? (I.e do I need a certain cord?)

Thank you :)

Reaction score
First thing is that you need to let us know the exact Mac models you have. From your initial post, the "mid-2010 Pro" is a 2010 MacBook Pro. If that it is true, then it has a Firewire 800 port. For the "new Pro", if that is a 2014 or 2015 MacBook Pro, then it (most likely) has a Thunderbolt port. If all of that is the case, then you will need the following two things:

1. A Firewire 800 cable.

2. A Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 Adapter.

Just to let you know, my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air has a Thunderbolt port, and I have one of those adapters. I also have a couple of Firewire 800 cables, and I have successfully attached an external hard drive (actually two separate drives) with a Firewire 800 port to my Mac Book Air, via the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 Adapter. That makes my backups go MUCH faster.

But again, you first need to let us know what exact Mac models you have.

Reaction score
Sorry for being unclear. When I open "about this Mac" it says Mid-2010 for my older MacBook Pro and my new one was purchased 2 weeks ago from best buy, and is a 2015 MacBook Pro. This site will not allow me to post a picture of the "About this Mac", which is what I had originally intended to do for clarity.

Would those aforementioned cables be available at Best Buy or WalMart? Do you have any recommendations on the best place to purchase such cables?

As an aside, I opened the back of my older Pro to clean the gradient along the back and I noticed that there is what appears to be a bread tag under the spindle motor, inside of my optical drive. Would I contact Apple about that, or Panasonic (it's a SuperDrive I'm pretty sure) ? Why on Earth would that be in there? The computer has been sent to Apple for a speaker issue once, but no one else has serviced the unit, and this is the first time I've opened the back. It doesn't appear to be causing any issues, but it seems a very strong location for a bread tag/tie.

Thank you again!

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that.

Where are you located? (I am located just south of Seattle). I don't think Best Buy has the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 Adapter. For the Firewire 800 cable, here are the results of a search I did on Best Buy's site:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=firewire+800+cable&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=category_facet=SAAS~FireWire+Cables~abcat0515014&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

If you have an Apple store close buy, they would definitely have the Adapter. Here is a link for that:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...rid_52243316890_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-btb-slid-

(Forget about Walmart for the Adapter. Not sure about the cable).

Ask a Question