Migrating from 1TB Mac to 256GB M1 without losing user files - howto put user on external crive

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help.

I'm excited to get a new M1 Mac. But the extra CAD$500 to go from the 256GB SSD to the 1TB SSD is too much for me right now, and there's no way to increase storage down the line. My current Mac has a 1TB combination boot and storage drive.

I don't want to start from fresh - my current user boot has a lot of automations and customizations set up that I don't want to lose or recreate.

I remember a -long- time ago being able to create the User directory on an external drive when moving to a new Mac, but I haven't been able to find a recent guide to doing so.

(And I'm -really- surprised that Apple doesn't have a guide to doing so: after all, most of their new hardware has minuscule storage in the default config. I guess they're just hoping to push everyone up the price chain.)

Like I said, I don't want to lose my existing user bootup, and most of the answers on other forums have been along the lines of "just delete your old stuff". Well - if you've tried deleting ¾ of your files, you know that's neither useful nor realistic.

Anyway, does anyone know of an online guide to doing this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The best thing would be to purchase an external drive, install macOS Big Sur on it, then use Migration Assistant to move applications and user files from your old Mac. You would then startup from the external drive and basically ignore os use the internal for other storage.

You can also just setup an account on the M1, and fresh install any applications or software. You can manually copy your files from your Home folder on the old Mac to an external drive and access them from there so they don't take up internal storage room. I have kept all of my personal data files, including iTunes/Music/TV/Photos Libraries on externals for years, so I don't have to move them each tme I buy a new Mac.

C

Ask a Question